Stately and strong, The Hartford is a Fortune 500 investment and insurance company headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut.
Who Benefits Most and Least from The Hartford Insurance?
- AARP members and those over 50
- Small business owners
- Those who like locking in their auto rate 12 months at a time
Not the Best For…
- Drivers looking for rideshare insurance
- People won’t accept anything less than a flawless mobile experience
- Iowa, Michigan, and New Hampshire residents, who can expect lifetime renewability on their policies
The Hartford: Time-honored and traditional
The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc (or simply — The Hartford) is the 12th largest property and casualty company in the United States. Its relationship with AARP allows members access to some of its more premium auto insurance options, including a separate telephone line into customer service and claims. Since The Hartford is such a large organization, it offers an extensive range of insurance products to fit almost anyone’s lifestyle.
However, sometimes behemoths like this can be behind the curve, technology-wise. This indeed seems to be the case with The Hartford’s mobile app (based on many customer reviews), which, unlike the company’s majestic deer logo, has yet to find its legs.
Two significant features that set The Hartford apart from so many other auto insurance companies is that it also offers business insurance options and has a financial services arm.
The Hartford Car Insurance Ratings
Insurify Composite Score: 92 out of 100. This score is calculated by analyzing multiple factors that indicate the quality, reliability, and health of an insurance company. Inputs to the score include financial strength ratings from A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch; J.D. Power ratings; Consumer Reports customer satisfaction surveys; mobile app reviews; and user-generated company reviews.
U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study (2018)
Overall Satisfaction Better than most
Call Center Representative About average
Pricing Better than most
Policy Offerings Better than most
Insurer Website Better than most
U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study (2018)
Overall Satisfaction Better than most
Repair Process Among the best
Claim Servicing Better than most
Settlement Better than most
Rental Experience The rest
Estimation Process Better than most
First Notice of Loss (FNOL) Better than most
J.D. Power Ratings by Region (out of 1,000)
Region Ratings State Average
Southwest 838 Among the best
Mid-Atlantic 839 About average
Florida 806 The rest
California 835 Better than most
North Central 838 Better than most
Northwest 832 Better than most
Company Name Ratings
A.M. Best A
Standard & Poor's A
The Hartford Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
Personalization is big right now—you see it in everything from soda cans to car insurance. That number you pay every month could be different depending on your individual situation. How far do you drive? Do you mind having a device in your car that measures your braking distance? Would you consider putting your renters insurance and car insurance under the same provider?
The Hartford offers a 12-month rate lock, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look. You’re never stuck with a rate. Remember that when you’re comparing car insurance quotes with Insurify.
Auto Insurance Quotes Comparison: The Hartford vs. Competitors
Insurify’s data team compared The Hartford’s car insurance quotes to those of Travelers, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, and GEICO. Below are the quotes for a 60-year-old male driver from Houston, Texas who drives a 2010 Honda Civic and has a clean driving record:
And these are the quotes for a 70-year-old female driver who also drives a 2010 Honda Civic and has a clean driving record:
The following charts show the quotes for both the 60-year-old male and 70-year-old female driver if they were to have a speeding ticket or an at-fault accident on their record:
Drivers Can SAVE with these Discounts from The Hartford
The Hartford markets heavily to AARP members. So, if you are in the over-50 crowd, this could be a boon for you. Young drivers and students seem to get somewhat of a fair break, as well.
|Multi-policy discount||up to 20%|
|Good driver discount||up to 15%|
|Anti-theft discount||up to 15%|
|Good student discount||up to 15%|
|teenSMART discount||up to 10%|
|Defensive driver discount||up to 5%|
States Where The Hartford Car Insurance is Offered
The Hartford’s personal insurance products (including auto) are available in all 50 states. Like all insurance companies, the offerings do vary somewhat from state to state, and the Hartford has done a pretty good job providing a generalized overview of products available in each state on its official website.
Click below on your state to find out how you can find the cheapest car insurance in your area:
The Hartford Auto Insurance Coverages
The Hartford offers a very robust list of optional and mandatory insurance included within its Advantage and AdvantagePlus packages.
- Liability coverage helps pay for the other person’s expenses should you be at fault for an accident. There are two types of liability coverage you should consider: Bodily injury liability and property damage liability.
- Bodily Injury (BI) liability covers injuries to other people in the vehicle not already covered by your insurance policy—if you are at fault for an accident. And just as the name implies, Property Damage (PD) liability covers damage to other vehicles or property in this same accident. But what if an accident isn’t your fault and the other motorist is uninsured or underinsured? The Hartford also offers Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Uninsured Motorist Property Damage to combat these unfortunate situations.
- Comprehensive coverage and collision coverage: Comprehensive helps cover non-accident related claims you may make on your vehicle…things like vandalism, natural disasters, and theft. Comprehensive does not cover damage to your car in the event of a collision with another vehicle or object. That’s what collision coverage is for. Both of these come with the choice of deductible limit, which means the amount you pay before The Hartford kicks in for the rest of the claim.
- Medical Payments Insurance, as defined by The Hartford, helps pay for “reasonable and necessary medical expenses resulting from a car accident.” Coverage extends to both driver and passenger. And, it includes (among many other things) paying for an ambulance, prosthetic limbs, and dental procedures. Medical Payments coverage covers even covers you if you are injured in another personal vehicle or are hit by a car (while crossing the road, for example).
- No-Fault or Personal Injury Protection helps pay medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in an auto accident regardless of who is at fault. Not all states require PIP to be offered or carried.
- Full Auto Glass Insurance Coverage isn’t offered in every state but can be a significant benefit if you have an aversion to deductibles. Though auto glass coverage is included in The Hartford’s comprehensive coverage offering, full auto glass coverage means that your smashed window will cost you nothing to replace other than a few extra dollars a month.
- Towing insurance coverage (or Towing and Labor insurance) helps pay the cost to tow your vehicle to a repair shop should it be inoperable for any reason. It also includes services should you be locked out of your vehicle. The Hartford boasts a network of over 40,000 towing facilities across the country.
- Rental Car Expense (also called transportation expense coverage) covers the cost of a rental car and is typically only available to those whose policies include comprehensive and collision coverages.
Other Special Auto Coverages Offered by The Hartford Insurance
Because of its size and long history, The Hartford offers a very long list of extras to those willing to pay more. Here are several more advantages of being an AARP member with The Hartford:
- Lifetime Renewability. This means as long as you can drive, The Hartford will insure you. Lifetime renewability is not offered in all states.
- The Hartford RecoverCare Advantage pays up to $2,500 for help with grocery shopping, transportation, cooking, cleaning, and other household help you may have trouble managing while you recover from an auto accident.
- New Care Replacement. If you wreck your new car within the first 15 months or 15k miles after you buy it, The Hartford will replace it like-for-like with no deduction for depreciation.
Home Insurance and Other Products Offered by The Hartford
If you are thinking about bundling your coverage, you should know that The Hartford offers a wide range of auto, home, and business insurance products. Small businesses, in particular, can benefit from its extensive list of coverage options across multiple industries:
- Vehicle coverage, including custom coverage for classic cars. The amount of coverage needed to repair or replace an antique or classic car is determined using its “actual cash value” (ACV), which is also known as fair market value. Nearly all coverages included in its auto policy packages can be applied to a classic car policy scenario. For an additional fee, some optional coverage also includes flatbed towing, trip interruption, full glass, and spare parts. The Hartford also provides policies for RVs, ATVs, boats, golf carts, and snowmobiles.
- Not everyone owns a home (and some people own more than one), so in addition to homeowners insurance, The Hartford also offers renters insurance and condo insurance. Check out our review of The Hartford’s home insurance here.
- Flood Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Small Business Insurance
- Business Income Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Flood Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- Data Breach Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance
- Home-based Business Insurance
- Management Liability Insurance
- Marine Insurance
- Multinational Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Risk Engineering
- Surety & Fidelity Bonds
- General Liability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
How Can I Buy Auto Insurance from The Hartford?
The Hartford offers its insurance products both online and through independent insurance agencies throughout the United States. These agencies don’t sell The Hartford exclusively, so don’t count on seeing a deer logo on an office somewhere out in the real world. Even so, the quickest way to build your one-of-a-kind policy without things getting too complicated is by comparing real quotes online with Insurify.
How Can I Pay for My The Hartford Car Insurance Policy?
If you actually feel like getting out of the house, you can indeed pay your car insurance policy at your insurance agent’s location. For the rest of us, here are some even easier ways to pay:
- Online bill payment (via credit/debit card or bank account)
The Hartford accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express
- Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)
- Mail-in payment (via personal check or money order)
- Over the phone
How Often Will The Hartford Increase My Premiums?
The Hartford provides a 12-month rate lock on its policies, though some have commented that their premiums have been raised by up to 11 percent upon renewal. Accident forgiveness is offered in most states.
How Does The Hartford’s Claims Process Work?
If you are making a claim and prefer a warm body at the other end of the line, you can:
- Call or visit your independent agent, or
- Call The Hartford to submit your claim over the phone, 24/7
- AARP Members: 1 (877) 805-9918 (call 1 (800) 892-8484 for glass-only claims)
- Non-members: 1 (800) 243-5860 for the first notice of loss (call 1 (800) 892-8484 for glass-only claims)
The Hartford’s online claims process is very user-friendly. Both you or your agent can make a claim online through The Hartford’s website. And, although you can create an online account, you don’t have to have one to begin the claims process. The Hartford’s claim page also includes a separate link for reporting a glass-only claim.
After filing your claim, you should expect a call from your claims adjuster within one business day. Here’s what happens next:
- The adjuster will talk to you about what’s covered and how much you’ll pay before your coverage kicks in. They’ll also get all the facts needed to support your claim, including photos and a police report, if applicable.
- Next, you’ll secure an estimate after talking to a pre-approved body shop or dealer.
- Once the repair estimate is approved, it’s usually paid within 48 hours.
- If you need a rental car, The Hartford can help you get that going, as well.
- The claims adjuster is your dedicated contact from start to finish
How Can I Cancel My The Hartford Car Insurance Policy?
If you call customer services to find out about cancellation fees and don’t already have a policy, you may be passed around a bit (which makes sense because they’re in the business of keeping you, right?). But that doesn’t make it any less annoying.
Rumor has it there are fees for canceling your insurance policy early. The Hartford does have a customer portal, which should allow you to update your policy reasonably easy. But then again, getting a straight answer without talking to someone whose goal is to retain you can be nerve-wracking.
Proof of insurance is typically required to cancel most any policy, and you can request that through the Hartford Customer Service Center. According to the site, you can make the request in just five minutes, but you could be left waiting for up to four hours for the response. You may have better luck going through your local agent.
To avoid a lapse in coverage, never drop insurance before you have that new policy in place. That’s why it’s so important to compare quotes and buy a new policy before you cancel your current one.
How Much Does Uber/Lyft Coverage Cost with The Hartford?
The Hartford does not provide rideshare coverage. If that’s the kind of coverage you are looking for, click here to find top rideshare insurers and compare quotes from a whole host of other insurers.
Insurance Companies Similar to The Hartford
Another large national company that leans large towards the settled-in, senior crowd is Allstate. Its safe-driver discounts may help offset some of the higher risk—and rates—associated with aging. Senior veterans may want to consider adding USAA to their comparison shopping list.
According to Insurify’s internal database of over 1.9 million car insurance applications and our analysis of external sources, drivers who used to hold The Hartford car insurance most often switched to the following companies:
The Hartford Customer Satisfaction and Policyholder Reviews
In general, The Hartford has a plethora of mediocre reviews on ConsumerAffairs (though it’s important to remember that people are more likely to complain than to compliment when reviews are at stake). Reviews on The Hartford’s own website are much more positive.
The claims process does seem to have some complainers in the crowd. One remarked pointedly that The Hartford glass replacement program uses third party vendors and not to the quality the customer expected.
The Hartford Mobile App Review
The Hartford Auto & Home mobile app is available for iOS 9.0 or later and Android 4.4 and up. It’s received less than stellar reviews from users; many cite a poor user interface, crashes, and cumbersome use. Millennials and power mobile users beware. At least until The Hartford get the kinks worked out, you’d be better off going online to make or track your claim.
App store Ratings (Out of 5) User reviews
Mobile App (iOS) 3.9 250
Mobile App (Android) 3.6 501
Frequently Asked Questions: The Hartford Car Insurance
Does The Hartford have special discounts for AARP members?
The Hartford does have special programs and discounts specifically for AARP members—and AARP members are serviced separately from other members.
Does The Hartford provide a 12-month rate lock in all 50 states?
The Hartford does guarantee a 12-month rate lock. But in all 50 states? That’s questionable. The Hartford might not provide a consistent 12-month rate for Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, or North Carolina.
How does The Hartford compare to Farmers Auto Insurance?
The Hartford is similar to Farmers Insurance in that these are both tried and true companies with longstanding reputations. However, tried and true doesn’t pay the bills when you are looking to lower your auto premiums. That’s why it does drivers good to look around online with Insurify’s easy quoting options.
Is The Hartford the cheapest car insurance in your area?
The Hartford is your grandparents’ insurance agency—in a good way. Stable, established, reliable. But it may not be the cheapest—especially if Grandma isn’t sending you those 10 dollar bills in your birthday card anymore! The only way you know you are getting the best bang for your (limited) buck is by going online and comparing quotes with Insurify.
The Hartford Auto Insurance Overview
The Hartford is a massive, established insurer with a very comprehensive list of insurance products for home, auto, life, and business. It has a nationwide presence and a solid customer service record, though it seems to be slow-moving when it comes to getting its mobile technology figured out—which is typical of a larger company with brick-and-mortar roots.
The Hartford Contact Information
|Main Contact number|| 1 (860) 547-5000
|Customer service||Complaint form|
|Emergency Roadside Assistance||1 (860) 547-5000|
|Headquarters||The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.
690 Asylum Avenue
Hartford, CT 06155
|Auto Claims||1 (877) 805-9918
1 (800) 423-6789
|Glass Claims||1 (800) 892-8484 (AARP members)
1 (800) 892-8484
|Customer service||1 (800) 423-6789 (AARP members)
1 (877) 896-9320