Oklahoma Car Insurance Information
Requirement : Yes
Car insurance is required in Oklahoma . Drivers must have a minimum of liability coverage.
Minimum Coverage Car Insurance Requirements:
A minimum liability insurance policy is required:
- $25,000 for bodily injury to one person.
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Other Car Insurance Coverage Options:
Liability coverage is the only requirements for Oklahoma motorist to have, there are several other types of coverage available to drivers:
- Collision – Covers damages to your vehicle due to an accident.
- Comprehensive – Covers damages due to your non-accident related damages to your car, such as inclement weather.
- Medical Payments – Helps cover your medical or funeral costs due to an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage – Covers you in case you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured party, or they don’t have adequate coverage.
- Note: Comprehensive and or collision coverage is optional, unless the vehicle is being financed or leased, the lending/leasing agency may require you to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.
Other Forms of Financial Responsibility:
Other legal ways around buying car insurance include:
- $55,000 cash or securities deposit with the state comptroller.
Proof of Insurance: Yes
You must carry proof of insurance and registration with your vehicle at all times.
Your insurance provider will send you an insurance card.
The proof of insurance issued by your insurance company must include:
- Vehicle’s information:
- Name of the insurance provider
- Address of insurance provider
- NAIC number of your insurance company
- Your name
- The beginning, and ending dates of your policy.
- Certification of financial responsibility
Violations, Fines & Penalties:
- Should you be found operating a vehicle without the mandatory minimum insurance coverage, you face:
- $250 maximum fine.
- 30 days in jail.
- Suspension of driving privileges until reinstatement fee and proof of insurance are furnished.
Credit Scores & Determining Your Insurance Premium :
All Oklahoma drivers are required to have car insurance, however, insurance providers are reserved the right to deny coverage to high-risk drivers. Drivers unable to get private coverage can purchase insurance through the Oklahoma Automobile Insurance Plan (OAIP).
Other factors that may be used to determine your premiums include:
- Credit history
- Driving history
- Year, make model of vehicle
- Neighborhood, city of residence
Discounts : Yes
Discounts available in Oklahoma:
- Good driver discount.
- Good student discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount.
- Anti-theft device discount.
- Safety device discount.
Novice drivers with permits or graduated licenses are banned from all cell phone use while driving. All drivers are prohibited from texting while driving. Cell phone and texting violations are considered primary offenses. Violators face a $100 fine, novice drivers face suspension or revocation of their license.
Oklahoma Minimum Coverage Laws
Carriers in Oklahoma
Full Insurance Laws for Oklahoma