Idaho Car Insurance Information
Requirement : Yes
Financial responsibility is required in Idaho . Drivers must have a minimum of liability.
Minimum Coverage Car Insurance Requirements:
A minimum liability insurance policy is required:
- $25,000 for bodily injury to one person.
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident.
- $15,000 for property damage liability per accident.
Other Car Insurance Coverage Options:
Liability and coverage is the only requirement for Idaho motorist to have, there are several other types of coverage available to drivers:
- Collision – Covers damages to your vehicle due to an accident.
- Comprehensive – Covers damages due to your non-accident related damages to your car, such as inclement weather.
- Medical Payments – Helps cover your medical or funeral costs due to an accident.
- Custom – Covers the insured for customized vehicle equipment damaged due to an accident.
- Rental Reimbursement – Reimburses you if you have to rent a car after an accident.
- Roadside assistance/towing coverage – Typically adds coverage for towing, tire changes, lockout services, and more.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage – Covers you in case you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured party, or they don’t have adequate coverage. *The provider must offer Uninsured/underinsured coverage, you may decline this option.
- Note: Comprehensive and or collision coverage is optional, unless the vehicle is being financed or leased, the lending/leasing agency may require you to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.
Other Forms of Financial Responsibility:
Other legal ways around buying car insurance include:
$50,000 cash or securities deposit with the state comptroller.
Proof of Insurance: Yes
You must carry proof of financial responsibility with your vehicle at all times.
Valid forms of proof of financial responsibility include:
- Insurance card.
- Policy binder.
- Insurance declaration page and renewal notice.
- Certification of financial responsibility.
Getting Pulled Over:
Violations, Fines & Penalties:
- If you’re pulled over by a police officer, you must show your proof of insurance, along with your driver’s license and car registration.
Violations, Fines & Penalties:
- $75 fine for first offense.
- $1,000 fine, suspension of license or 6 months in jail for second, subsequent offenses
A SR22 may be required after a suspension in order to get your driver’s license reinstated. An SR22 certificate only certifies proof of insurance of minimum requirements, it is not insurance.
Reasons you may be required to carry an SR-22:
- Driving with a suspended license.
- Reckless driving.
- Leaving the scene of an accident.
- Manslaughter in a vehicle.
Credit Scores & Determining Your Insurance Premium :
All Idaho drivers are required to have car insurance, however, insurance providers are reserved the right to deny coverage to high-risk drivers. High-risk drivers should try to find a provider that specializes in high-risk, non-standard drivers.
Other factors that may be used to determine your premiums include:
- Claim history
- Driving history
- Make, model of car
- Neighborhood or city of residence
Discounts : Yes
Discounts available in Idaho:
- Organization or professional group discount.
- Good student discount
- Alternative fuel discount
- Anti-theft device discount
- Homeowner discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Provider switching discount
Cell phone use is not banned in Idaho. All drivers are banned from texting while driving. Texting violations are considered primary offenses. Violators face a $85 fine.
Idaho Minimum Coverage Laws
Carriers in Idaho
Full Insurance Laws for Idaho