Maine Car Insurance Information
Requirement : Yes
Car insurance is required in Maine . Drivers must have a minimum of liability coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. All new residents must be registered, and compliant within 30 days of establishing residence.
Minimum Coverage Car Insurance Requirements:
A minimum liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is required:
- $50,000 for bodily injury to one person.
- $100,000 for bodily injury per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage liability per accident.
- Medical Payments – Helps cover your medical or funeral costs due to an accident.
- $2,000 per accident
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage – Covers you in case you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured party, or they don’t have adequate coverage.
- $50,000 to one person.
- $100,000 per accident.
Other Car Insurance Coverage Options:
Liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage are the only requirement for Maine motorist to have, there are several other types of coverage available to drivers:
- Collision – Covers damages to your vehicle due to an accident.
- Comprehensive – Covers damages due to your non-accident related damages to your car, such as inclement weather.
- Rental reimbursement – Reimburses you if you have to rent a car after an accident.
- Roadside assistance/towing coverage – Typically adds coverage for towing, tire changes, lockout services, and more.
- GAP Insurance - If your vehicle is loaned or leased and totaled, Gap insurance may pay for the difference between the cash value of the vehicle and the unpaid balance of the loan or lease.
- Umbrella Insurance - Adds protection against liability claims/judgements when your auto insurance liability limits have been reached.
- Note: Comprehensive and or collision coverage is optional, unless the vehicle is being financed or leased, the lending/leasing agency may require you to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.
Other Forms of Financial Responsibility:
Other legal ways around buying car insurance include:
- $127,000 cash or securities deposit with the state comptroller.
Proof of Insurance: Yes
You must carry proof of insurance and registration with your vehicle at all times.
Valid forms of proof of financial responsibility include:
- Insurance card.
- Certification of financial responsibility.
Violations, Fines & Penalties:
- Should you be found operating a vehicle without the mandatory minimum insurance coverage, you face:
- Suspension of driver’s license and vehicle registration
Credit Scores & Determining Your Insurance Premium :
All Maine drivers are required to have car insurance, however, insurance providers are reserved the right to deny coverage to high-risk drivers. High-risk drivers should try to find a provider that specializes in high-risk, non-standard drivers.
Other factors that may be used to determine your premiums include:
- Driving history
- Make, model of car
- Marital status
- Neighborhood or city of residence
- Coverage history
- Claim history
- How often your vehicle is used
- Main use of vehicle
Discounts : Yes
Discounts available in Maine:
- Anti-theft discount
- Driver education discount
- Good student discount
- Low mileage discount
- Safety equipment discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Multi-policy discount
There is no handheld cell phone prohibition for. All drivers are banned from texting while driving. Cell phone and texting violations are considered primary offenses. Violators face a $100 fine plus court costs.
Maine Minimum Coverage Laws
Carriers in Maine
Full Insurance Laws for Maine