Nebraska Car Insurance Information
Requirement : Yes
Car insurance is required in Nebraska . Drivers must have a minimum of liability coverage.
Minimum Coverage Car Insurance Requirements:
A minimum liability insurance policy is required:
- $25,000 for bodily injury to one person.
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage liability per accident.
Other Car Insurance Coverage Options:
Liability coverage is the only requirements for Nebraska motorist to have, there are several other types of coverage available to drivers:
- Collision – Covers damages to your vehicle due to an accident.
- Comprehensive – Covers damages due to your non-accident related damages to your car, such as inclement weather.
- Medical Payments – Helps cover your medical or funeral costs due to an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage – Covers you in case you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured party, or they don’t have adequate coverage.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage must be offered as part of your liability insurance, but can be waved.
- Note: Comprehensive and or collision coverage is optional, unless the vehicle is being financed or leased, the lending/leasing agency may require you to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.
Other Forms of Financial Responsibility:
Other legal ways around buying car insurance include:
- $75,000 Surety bond.
- $75,000 Real estate bond.
- $75,000 certificate of deposit.
- Certificate of self-insurance issued by Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Proof of Insurance: Yes
You must carry proof of insurance and registration with your vehicle at all times. The insurance company (provider) will give you an insurance card as proof of insurance.
- Valid forms of proof of insurance:
- Insurance card.
- Copy of insurance card.
- Letter from insurance carrier.
The card will include:
- Vehicle’s information:
- Safety Rating
- Your policy name & name of any other drivers insured under the policy.
- The policy term’s expiration date.
- A new policy card will be provided every time you renew your car insurance policy.
Violations, Fines & Penalties:
- Should you be found operating a vehicle without the mandatory minimum insurance coverage, you face:
- $1,000 maximum fine.
- Suspension, and revocation of vehicle registration, and license plates.
- Up to 6 months in jail.
Credit Scores & Determining Your Insurance Premium :
All Nebraska drivers are required to have car insurance, however, insurance providers are reserved the right to deny coverage to high-risk drivers. Drivers unable to get private coverage can purchase insurance through the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans (WAIP).
Other factors that may be used to determine your premiums include:
- Credit history
- Driving history
- Year, make, model of car
- Neighborhood or city of residence
Discounts : Yes
Discounts available in Nebraska:
- Good student discount
- Good driver discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Safety-device discount
Drivers under the age of 18 with a learner’s permit, or intermediate license are prohibited from using cell phones while driving. All drivers are prohibited from texting while driving. Cell phone and texting violations are considered secondary offenses. Violators are subject to a $200 first offense fine, $300 second offense fine, $500 plus 3 points against driver’s license for all subsequent offenses.
Nebraska Minimum Coverage Laws
Carriers in Nebraska
Full Insurance Laws for Nebraska