One of the most recognizable insurance brands in the United States, Farmers offers a wide variety of home, auto, and life insurance policies, and has an above-average customer satisfaction record to boot.
Who Benefits Most and Least from Farmers Insurance?
- Policyholders who prefer an involved and thorough claims process
- People who don’t mind working with large insurance companies
- Drivers looking for rideshare insurance
Not the Best For…
- Those on the hunt for the cheapest policy quotes
- Someone who would feel more comfortable working with a small, regional outfit
Farmers Insurance: Will yours be the next case in the Hall of Claims?
Although it’s perhaps best known for its “Hall of Claims” television ad campaigns starring actor J.K. Simmons and its promotional tie-ins with “Sesame Street,” Farmers Insurance Group is set apart by its intensive and personalized claims process and multi-product insurance bundling offers.
Indeed, Farmers Insurance Group has built a reputation for handling the messiest and most complex auto and property claims. However, it’s not going to look kindly upon high-risk drivers looking to stretch the dollar. Read on to see if you can find the cheapest and best quote for your driver profile with Farmers.
Farmers Car Insurance Ratings
Insurify gives Farmers an Insurify Composite Score of 83/100. This score is the result of analyzing multiple factors that indicate the quality, reliability, and health of an insurance company. Inputs to the score include financial strength ratings from A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch; J.D. Power ratings; Consumer Reports customer satisfaction surveys; mobile app reviews; and user-generated company reviews.
U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study (2018)
|Overall Satisfaction||About average|
|Insurer Website||About average|
|Local Agent||About average|
|Policy Offerings||About average|
U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study (2018)
|Overall Satisfaction||About average|
|Repair Process||The rest|
|Claim Servicing||About average|
|Rental Experience||About average|
|Estimation Process||About average|
|First Notice of Loss (FNOL)||About average|
J.D. Power Ratings by Region (out of 1,000)
|North Central||808||The rest|
|Standard & Poor's||A|
Farmers Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
Comparing quotes and discounts between different insurance companies is the only way that you know you’re getting the cheapest, best, or most comprehensive deal on your auto policy. Here’s how Farmers’ offerings stack up against the competition.
Auto Insurance Quotes Comparison: Farmers vs. Progressive, GEICO, Nationwide, Liberty Mutual
To see how Farmer’s rates stacked up with insurance providers, Insurify’s data team compared Farmers car insurance quotes to those of its competitors. Below are the quotes for a 30-year-old female driver from San Antonio, Texas who drives a 2005 Honda Civic and has a clean driving record:
For this driver profile, Farmers wouldn’t offer the cheapest quote when compared with some of the top insurance providers in the nation. It doesn’t even come close, in this case. Keep in mind, however, that Farmers’ base monthly premium listed here doesn’t necessarily account for all the potential discounts for which you qualify.
Here are the quotes this sample driver would receive if she had one speeding ticket on her insurance record:
Rates increase across the board. Still, it’s Liberty Mutual that would penalize this prospective policyholder most harshly, with a quote that’s nearly 29 percent higher than that of a clean-record driver. Farmers would similarly bump up its already-high rates by about 25 percent.
Forget speeding. What if this same driver had to file a claim from an at-fault accident in the recent past?
Farmers still offers the steepest (pre-discounted) quote to this driver, while Progressive maintains a policy quote that’s still sub-$100. When it comes to getting the cheapest rates online, be sure to speak with a Farmers agent to squeeze whatever savings you can out of your new policy.
Otherwise, it definitely behooves you to compare auto insurance quotes online …because the quotes you see here aren’t necessarily the ones that you’ll see while shopping around for a policy.
How to SAVE with these discounts from Farmers
Farmers offers a Multiple Policy Discount that can save policyholders up to 10 percent on their total insurance premium. What does that mean? If you bundle your auto policy with other products like homeowners or renters insurance, you can save on your overall insurance payment. Consider this option before you get separate quotes from separate insurers for all of your coverage needs.
Farmers also rewards those who drive electric or hybrid vehicles with up to a five percent discount on their auto policy. It pays to go green for Farmers policyholders!
Other discounts abound for qualifying policyholders, all at varying rates of discount. These include: affinity group discounts, anti-theft device discount, antilock brake discount, claims-free renewal discount, daytime running lights discount, defensive driver discount, driving habits discount, driving training discount, e-billing discount, early quote discount, electronic stability control discount, family discount, good driver discount, good payer discount, good student discount, homeowner discount, loyalty discount, mature driver discount, military discount, multi-vehicle discount, paid in full discount, paperless discount, passive restraint discount, preferred payment discount, prepay discount, professional organization discounts, provider switch discount, senior citizen discount, student away at school discount, teenSMART discount, VIN etching discount, and youth driving discount.
States Where Farmers Car Insurance is Offered
Farmers is licensed to sell and underwrite insurance in all 50 states.
Available auto insurance discounts vary by state, as do Farmers’ rental car coverage policies.
Rideshare insurance through Farmers is only available in select states.
Insurance minimums and coverages vary from state to state, so you should look up the specific Farmers policies offered in yours:
Farmers Auto Insurance Coverages
- Liability coverage: Also called third-party liability, liability insurance is the most important element of your car insurance policy. Almost every state requires liability insurance by law, although state minimum coverage limits vary, and every state allows drivers to opt into state minimum insurance, which is the lowest legal coverage limit.
- Bodily injury liability and property damage liability are the two components of liability coverage. Bodily injury (BI) covers medical costs due to anyone else’s injuries as a result of a car accident you caused. Property damage (PD), on the other hand, covers others’ damaged cars or personal property as a result of this accident.
- Comprehensive coverage and collision coverage: Farmers considers comprehensive and collision coverage to reflect “the value of your vehicles.” Comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle due to damage from “Acts of God” like a natural disaster or a fallen tree. Collision coverage applies to damage that your vehicle incurs, regardless of fault. If you opt into these coverages, you must set a deductible limit. This dollar amount will come out of your pocket before Farmers pays out the rest of a claim.
- Personal Injury Protection: This extra and optional coverage pays for medical or funeral expenses to anyone involved in a car accident, regardless of fault.
- New Car Replacement Coverage®: Farmers will replace your new car (within the first two model years of ownership) if it’s a total loss and has racked up fewer than 24,000 miles. Farmers will reimburse the cost of replacement minus the deductible you set.
- Customized equipment coverage: Farmers covers damages to add-on equipment that didn’t originally come with your vehicle. This coverage is only available if you opt for comprehensive and collision coverage, too.
- Personal liability umbrella coverage: Umbrella coverage refers to additional liability limits that you set beyond those of your personal auto insurance policy. This is only available to policyholders who bundle their auto policy with another personal liability policy like home, renters, or condo insurance.
- Towing and roadside coverage: Farmers’ roadside assistance program is a policy add-on. Farmers has over 20,000 towing facilities and 10,000 locksmiths on call. Its roadside service covers emergency towing for up to $150 in service, jump-starting, flat tire changes, lockout entry assistance, and roadside winching if your car is stuck in the road. Customers can reach Farmers’ roadside service at 1 (800) 435-7764. Policyholders also have the option of selecting their own service provider (like AAA) for roadside service. Once you report your claim online and send Farmers all of the relevant documents associated with the claim at firstname.lastname@example.org, Farmers will reimburse the service bill.
- Loss of use: Still need to get around town while comprehensive and collision takes care of your claim? Farmers will pay a flat amount to go towards taxicabs, public transit, or a rental car in the meantime.
- Car rental reimbursement: If you require a rental car after you get into an accident, Farmers will find you one, so long as you have comprehensive or collision coverage. Perks include free pickup and delivery and an automatic deposit waiver. Car rental reimbursement kicks in for a maximum of 30 days “for each qualified disablement.”
Other Special Auto Coverages Offered by Farmers Insurance
- Accident forgiveness: Farmers’ accident forgiveness program extends to drivers who might have a single blemish on an otherwise spotless driving record. For every three years a policyholder drives without an at-fault accident, Farmers will forgive one at-fault accident…meaning a single accident should not affect your premium costs.
- Glass deductible buy-back: This optional coverage connects policyholders to reputable vehicle glass repair services. Farmers will cover shattered windshields regardless of the repair cost; all that’s expected is a $100 deductible.
- Original equipment manufacturer coverage: OEM coverage will pay for repairs to your car parts by replacing them with factory-original replacements. To qualify for this policy add-on, your car must be 10 years old or newer.
Other Insurance Products Offered by Farmers Insurance
- Homeowners insurance: Farmers has offered home insurance for over 80 years. Farmers’ home coverages and products include homeowners insurance for single-family homes; condo or townhome insurance; mobile or manufactured home insurance; specialty home insurance; vacant home insurance; and Identity Shield, which is added identity protection and credit monitoring. Farmers agents can also help policyholders purchase flood and earthquake insurance in many states. Farmers Smart Plan Home policies come at three package levels: Standard, Enhanced, and Premier.
- Renters insurance: Farmers claims that the price of its renters insurance package is “about the price of a movie and popcorn once a month.” Renters insurance covers you if you rent your home and incur property damage or injury that doesn’t fall under your landlord’s insurance policy.
- Collectible auto insurance: Get coverage for your classic car with this special insurance package from Farmers.
- Life insurance: Through one of its subsidiaries, Farmers New World Life Insurance Company, Farmers offers term, whole, and universal life insurance policies.
- Motorcycle insurance: When it comes to property, Farmers insures more than just cars; its motorcycle insurance package includes rewards for “responsible riders” and multi-motorcycle discounts.
- Recreational insurance: Recreational insurance through Farmers extends to boats, travel trailers, motor homes, and ATVs.
- Landlord and rental property insurance: Landlords and property owners qualify for this type of coverage, which applies to storm damage, burst pipes, and tenant injuries that are your fault. Optional coverages include loss of rents, personal property protection, personal injury protection, and “other structures” coverage (including separate garages, sheds, and pools).
- Business insurance: Farmers offers commercial insurance for qualifying small businesses. Coverages included in business insurance policies include property coverage, liability coverage, crime, commercial auto, workers’ compensation, umbrella insurance, life insurance, and loss control.
- Pet insurance: Farmers has a plan for Fido. In fact, Farmers’ pet insurance policies extend to dogs and cats alike. With its partner Pets Best, Farmers offers pet health insurance in both Accident and Illness and Accident-only plans. Wellness Routine Care coverage is an optional add-on that covers regular veterinary visits and check-ups.
- Umbrella insurance: Umbrella policies through Farmers provide additional liability coverage in increments of $1 million. Auto accidents, injured house guests, legal fees when you’re accused of slandering a friend on Facebook: all are covered through a standard umbrella policy.
- Financial services: Through Farmers Financial Solutions, LLC, Farmers agents can help you manage, prioritize, and strategize your personal finance goals.
How Can I Buy Auto Insurance from Farmers?
Prospective policyholders can buy a Farmers policy by getting a quote online and then buying online or over the phone, or seeing a Farmers agent in person.
Remember, one policy quote isn’t binding, nor is it the most accurate reflection of how much you could save on your car insurance. Insurify is the quickest and easiest way to compare up to 20+ real quotes on your own. Just take a few minutes (and that’s all it takes…feel free to time yourself!) to build your dream policy today.
How Can I Pay for My Farmers Car Insurance Policy?
Farmers accepts the following payment options:
- Online payment (via credit/debit card or bank account)
- Electronic fund transfer (EFT)
- Mail-in payment (via personal check or money order)
- Over the phone
- In-person at any Farmers agent office
Farmers policyholders can set up automatic payments for billing accounts that are on monthly, one-time, two-time, and four-time payment plans.
How Does Farmers Handle Changes to My Driving Record?
Like most insurance companies, Farmers will raise your rates if you get in an at-fault accident or commit some other driving violation. That’s just the way the insurance cookie crumbles.
However, Farmers’ accident forgiveness program will waive any rate hikes if you’ve gotten in an at-fault accident…as long as you already have three years of clean driving to make up for it.
Farmers’ website admits that your rates may increase year over year through no fault of your own. As the rate of auto policy claims, the number of cars on the road, and the cost to repair vehicles all increase over time, so will your premium, even if you have a spotless record. Farmers attributes this to the concept of “shared risk.”
Before you say, “loyalty, shmoyalty!” and switch to a new provider, know that Farmers’ policy reviews allow policyholders to understand the factors behind rate hikes better or uncover more discount or savings opportunities they may have missed. But to guarantee that you’re getting the best rate and coverage in your area, don’t forget to compare car insurance quotes every six months, at least.
How Does Farmers’ Claims Process Work?
To speak with a Farmers claims representative, call Claim Services at 1 (800) 435-7764. You can also report your claim online through the Farmers website.
Farmers can connect you with auto repair, glass repair, rental car, and total loss facilities and services; your dedicated claims representative will coordinate the process.
That process is broken down into what Farmers calls the Five Auto Claim Milestones:
- Assignment: Your claim will be assigned to a claims representative.
- Initial Contact: The representative will connect with you about your claim, discuss any relevant endorsements, and notify you on how to prevent further damage and protect your property.
- Evaluation: The representative will assess whether your policy will cover your loss. This often involves a physical inspection and some witness interviews.
- Resolution: For more straightforward claims, resolution may include Farmers issuing a payment right when your evaluation ends. If Farmers wholly or partially denies you coverage, it will explain why during this stage. You can also request to re-evaluate your claim with an insurance adjuster.
- Claim Closed: Any claim may be reopened upon the discovery of additional damage or injuries.
In the event of an accident or other incidents that require an auto claim, Farmers contends that they’ll be there “every step of the way – no matter how long it takes.” Suffice it to say that Farmers’ claims process is a bit more involved than that of your run-of-the-mill insurance provider.
How Can I Cancel My Farmers Car Insurance Policy?
To cancel your Farmers policy, you’ll need to contact your local agent. If you don’t know who your local agent is, you can look them up on the “Find an Agent” page on the company website. You can also request a new agent this way. If you cannot reach your agent, call customer service at 1 (888) 327-6335 Monday through Friday at 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM Central, Saturday-Sunday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM Central.
Farmers is not forthcoming about their cancellation fees. Past policyholders have reported cancellation penalties in the ballpark of $50. Farmers advises that policyholders speak directly to an agent or company representative about the terms of your cancellation.
Whether or not you decide to cancel your auto policy with Farmers (or any insurance company!), you must first secure a new one so that you don’t face any lapse in your coverage. One day uninsured out of years of excellent insurance can make insurance companies sound the alarm bells. Compare car insurance quotes online to find and bind a new policy, setting its start date on the day your current plan expires (at least!).
How Much Does Uber/Lyft Coverage Cost with Farmers?
For rideshare drivers using their vehicles for commercial purposes, Farmers Rideshare fills the gap between rides when you’re on the clock. This policy add-on keeps drivers insured for all stages of a rideshare trip not covered by your employer’s commercial coverage.
Farmers provides rideshare insurance in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin.
Uber and Lyft drivers can expect to pay about 25 percent more on their Farmers policy with their rideshare coverage add-on. Call 1 (855) 808-6599 to speak with a Farmers representative about rideshare coverage.
Insurance Companies Similar to Farmers Insurance
If you’re thinking about buying an auto policy through Farmers Insurance, know that it won’t necessarily offer the best rates for those looking to spend the fewest bucks.
Like State Farm, Esurance, and Nationwide (other industry power players), Farmers may offer above-average claims servicing and have ideal financial strength ratings. Still, it won’t necessarily cover the highest-risk or most savings-oriented drivers out there. Mercury, Progressive, or GAINSCO might be better choices for drivers who don’t have a sterling driving record but still want to score some savings.
According to Insurify’s internal database of over 1.9 million car insurance applications and our analysis of external sources, drivers who previously held Farmers auto insurance most often switched to the following companies:
Farmers Car Insurance Customer Satisfaction and Policyholder Reviews
Customer satisfaction reviews for Farmers Insurance are, overall, positive. Customers typically acknowledge the personalized service and wealth of savings options.
But unexpected rate hikes plague even the most loyal and preferred customers:
Farmers Insurance Group has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but low customer reviews on that same service. Frustrated policyholders often vent about lengthy claims processes, misattributions of fault, and rate increases.
Farmers Mobile App Review
The Farmers Mobile App should allow smartphone-owning policyholders to view their insurance ID cards, pay their bills, access policy-related documents, generate payment reminders, and even report claims.
The app is available for both iOS and Android and gets high marks on both platforms. The app only supports auto, home, umbrella, and life policy accounts. So if you’re just with Farmers for the motorcycle insurance, for instance, the app won’t be of too much help to you.
Organic reviews signal that the Farmers app has quick and user-friendly functions.
App store Ratings (Out of 5) User reviews
Mobile App (iOS) 4.8 3,849
Mobile App (Android) 4.7 3,997
Frequently Asked Questions: Farmers Car Insurance
How can I cancel my Farmers Insurance policy?
To cancel your Farmers policy, contact your local agent. If you cannot reach your agent, call customer service at 1 (888) 327-6335 Monday through Friday at 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM Central, Saturday-Sunday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM Central. Keep in mind that Farmers does not have a clear cancellation fee policy. Past policyholders have reported cancellation fees around $50.
Which agents sell Farmers Insurance near me?
Farmers is licensed to sell insurance in all 50 states. However, Farmers does not have readily accessible agents everywhere in the country. To find a Farmers agent near you, visit agents.farmers.com; otherwise, get a Farmers quote online and compare this offer with multiple insurance companies to guarantee you're picking the right provider for you.
How can I compare quotes from multiple car insurance companies at once?
Here's how: online auto insurance quotes comparison. Sites like Insurify help you build your dream policy in just minutes and then compare quotes side by side. You can even unlock discounts and buy a new policy online or over the phone. In the time it takes to prepare your lunch, you can save hundreds of dollars on car insurance.
Conclusion: The best way to get cheap car insurance in your area
“We are Farmers,” so the commercial jingle goes. After reading the ins and outs of this auto insurance provider, are you ready to say that you’re a Farmer, too?
Either way, just one quote is not going to give you an accurate picture of just how much you can save. That’s why Insurify was born: to help you compare side-by-side quotes from top companies, no matter your background or car insurance needs. Don’t go from site to site to compare inaccurate quotes. Find bindable, real policy quotes stacked by price or by perks, tailored just for you.
Browse, Compare, Discover, and get a quote today with Insurify.
Farmers Auto Insurance Overview
Headquartered in the greater Los Angeles area, Farmers Insurance Group was founded in 1928. Farmers now operates with over 48,000 “exclusive and independent” insurance agents across the country, covering 10+ million households and serving over 19 million policies. Farmers agents sell policies across all 50 states.
Farmers specializes in auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, commercial insurance, and more, as well as financial services.
A.M. Best gives Farmers a financial strength rating (FSR) of “A,” signaling above-average financial health and ability to pay out claims.
According to the J.D. Power & Associates U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, Farmers has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 for overall customer satisfaction.
Divisions include Farmers Insurance; the Grand Rapids-based Foremost Insurance; Bristol West Insurance; 21st Century Insurance; and Farmers New World Life Insurance Company.
The CEO and Director of Farmers Insurance Group is Jeffrey Dailey.
Farmers Contact Information
|Customer service phone number||1 (888) 327-6335|
|Personal bill payments phone number||1 (888) 327-6335|
|Commercial bill payments phone number||1 (866) 315-8445|
|Claims services phone number||1 (800) 435-7764|
|Agent directory phone number||1 (888) 327-6335|
|Customer service and headquarters address||6301 Owensmouth Ave Woodland Hills, CA 91367|
|Personal bill payments address||PO Box 0991 Carol Stream, IL 60132-0991|