As we work together to slow the spread of COVID-19, state insurance commissions and insurance providers are constantly changing regulations and practices surrounding monthly payments, claim payouts, and more. To stay up to date with the latest on auto insurance reimbursements in your area, be sure to check with your state’s insurance commission and your current auto insurance provider.
If your driving habits have changed due to COVID-19, find a new, cheaper, ready-to-buy auto insurance policy on Insurify by comparing dozens of quotes at once.
COVID-19 Update: Auto-Owners is giving a 15 percent premium refund to personal automobile policyholders for the months of April and May. Customers having issues making payments can call the company to discuss options such as changing their due date, changing their payment plan, or getting a payment extension.
Now more than ever, you could be saving on your auto insurance policy. To make sure your finances can carry you through this crisis, compare car insurance policies on Insurify today.
A generous smattering of discounts but decidedly low profile online reveals a good company—but one that is hard to get to know without a lot of effort on your part.
Who Benefits Most and Least from Auto-Owners Insurance?
- People interested in bundling home, auto, life, and business insurance policies
- Those who want a stellar customer service experience
- Those attracted to the security and trust associated with Fortune 500 companies
- Drivers with newer, safety-enhanced, greener rides
- People who’ve made accessibility-related conversions to their vehicles
Not the Best For…
- Policyowners who depend on both their individual agents and a readily available corporate back-office for their information
- People who favor companies with data-rich, interactive websites
- Residents of Alaska, Arkansas, New Hampshire, Nevada, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Louisiana, Mississippi, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming
Auto-Owners: A big but all-around “good-guy” insurance company
Auto-Owners is big. Very big—providing insurance to nearly three million policyholders. Though it isn’t available in all 50 states, it’s got some pretty good advantages if you live in one of the 26 states it does offer coverage in—beginning with its status as a stable, Fortune 500 company. Additionally, though its claims process is decentralized and you’ll have to talk to an individual agent to get anything done, it has 100 “claims centers” servicing those agents and agencies. Of note, its customer service record puts Auto-Owners at the top of JD Power’s 2018 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study—ahead of other big players like Farmers, The Hartford, and Travelers.
Auto-Owners Car Insurance Ratings
Insurify Composite Score: 86 out of 100
This score is calculated by analyzing multiple factors that indicate the quality, reliability, and health of an insurance company. Inputs to the score include financial strength ratings from A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch; J.D. Power ratings; Consumer Reports customer satisfaction surveys; mobile app reviews; and user-generated company reviews.
U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study (2018)
Overall Satisfaction Better than most
Local Agent Among the best
Pricing Better than most
Policy Offerings Among the best
U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study (2018)
Overall Satisfaction Better than most
Repair Process About average
Claim Servicing Better than most
Settlement Better than most
Rental Experience Among the best
Estimation Process Better than most
First Notice of Loss (FNOL) Better than most
J.D. Power Ratings by Region (out of 1,000)
Region Ratings State Average
Southeast 842 Better than most
Central 847 Better than most
Florida 812 About average
North Central 850 Among the best
Company Name Ratings
A.M. Best A++
Auto-Owners Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
If you’ve been mindlessly paying your insurance bill month after month, listen up (please). You’d be surprised at just how many companies out there can save you money on your auto insurance by extending you discounts you may never have even heard of. Discounts these days have become a very personalized business. Got a green car? There’s a discount for that. Not the best driving record, but pay your bills on time? There’s a discount for that. You owe it to yourself to find out just what discounts out there may save you a bundle on your auto insurance.
Auto Insurance Quotes Comparison: Auto-Owners vs. Progressive, GEICO, and Allstate
Insurify’s data team compared Auto-Owners’ car insurance quotes to those of Progressive, GEICO, and Allstate. Below are the average quotes from each company, for drivers under the age of 40 in Georgia:
These are the average quotes for Georgia drivers with a speeding ticket on their record:
Insurance company Quote
Finally, these are the average quotes for Georgia drivers with an accident on their record:
Insurance company Quote
On average, it seems that auto-owners has the cheapest insurance for drivers in Georgia. But just because it has the cheapest rates on average, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily going to have the cheapest rates for you. This is why you should always compare your insurance quotes across a couple different companies, not just one. It might sound like a complicated, time-consuming task, but it’s made much easier by using comparison websites like Insurify, which lets you compare quotes across up to 20 different insurance companies.
Drivers Can SAVE with these Discounts from Auto-Owners
If you’ve been scouting discounts, you’ll recognize many of the more familiar discounts that Auto-Owners can afford you, like good student discounts and discounts for having multiple cars under one policy. Safety feature discounts, while great, favor those who can afford newer cars. But you can make that up by paying your bills in full and on-time.
Passive Restraint Discount up to 35%
Multiple Vehicle Discount up to 31%
Student Away at School Discount up to 25%
Good Driver Discount up to 15%
Multiple Policy Discount up to 14%
Prepay Discount up to 14%
Anti-Theft Device Discount up to 11%
Anti-lock Brake Discount up to 10%
Good Student Discount up to 10%
Company Car Discount up to 5%
Auto-Owners also offers discounts of varying percentages for people who pay their policy in full, people with “green” cars, those with multiple cars, anti-theft devices, safety features, and members of certain organizations.
States Where Auto-Owners Car Insurance is Offered
The biggest downside to Auto-Owners is that it’s not available nationwide: the company currently operates in only 26 states, despite being founded over a century ago in Lansing, Michigan. That doesn’t mean it’s terrible, just that unless you live in one of the states below, you’ll need to keep driving to find an insurer that 1) can write policies in your state and 2) is right for you.
Auto-Owners offers car insurance in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin
According to policyholder reviews, Auto-Owners’ telematics app, TrueRide, is not available in all the states the company services, though not much else has been said online about the differences between state-to-state coverage.
Click here to find the cheapest car insurance quotes in your state.
Auto-Owners Auto Insurance Coverages
Auto-Owners offers a broad range of both mandatory and optional auto coverage (although you’ll want to check exactly what kind and how much insurance is required by your state).
- Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability are required in nearly every state, though coverage limits vary. If you are at fault for an accident, liability coverages pay medical costs and damages for the other party. Collision coverage is what you’ll need if you want insurance to help pay for getting your own car fixed.
- Collision coverage is a basic but optional coverage you’ll likely want. Just as the name implies, collision pays for damage to objects and vehicles as a result of, well, a collision, regardless of who is at fault.
- Auto-Owners Collision Coverage Advantage is unique to the company, and having it means that should you be involved in an accident with another Auto-Owners policyholder, Auto-Owners will waive your collision deductible (seems only fair). Additionally, should you collide with a giant, fluffy squirrel (or any other animal), the damage will be paid under either your comprehensive or collision coverage—whichever pays most.
- Comprehensive coverage pays for damages to your vehicle not related to a collision. In addition to the squirrel accident, comprehensive also kicks in for cases of vandalism, fire, inclement weather (the squirrel’s tree falls onto the hood of your car in a windstorm), and theft. (Note: it doesn’t have to be a squirrel. It probably won’t be a squirrel. Any animal will do.)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist. Yes, this really happens. In the event of injury, damage, or death, this kind of coverage can save the day when the other driver didn’t buy any or enough insurance.
- Medical Payments and Personal Injury Protection
- Road Trouble Service is Auto-Owners’ answer to those times when you lock yourself out of your vehicle, run out of gas, or are stranded for any other car-related reason. Auto-Owners offers this coverage day and night—every day of the year—in all 50 states. Hoo-rah!
- Additional expense coverage from Auto-Owners can help pay for a rental car and other related “stranded-away-from-home” problems like home, food, lodging, and other incidental expenses.
- Loan Gap/Lease Gap insurance (AKA New Car Replacement Coverage) covers the difference between the value of your vehicle and the amount due on your lease or loan should you be in an accident. Similarly, Diminished Value protects the value of a car that you own.
Other Special Auto Coverages Offered by Auto-Owners Insurance
Sometimes insurance coverages can start looking and sounding the same. Always look closely to be sure you know any additional coverages a company may offer. These other coverages are sometimes the ones that can win you over. Here are a few of Auto-Owners’ coverages you shouldn’t overlook.
- Personal Automobile Plus Package is a package of 10 additional coverage that protects you from loss related to an accident—though you’ll have to call your agent if you want to know precisely what these 10 items are. According to its website, items 1-3 are identity theft-related expenses, rekeying locks, and replacing your cell phone.
- Auto-Owners’ Common Loss Deductible coverage calls for a reduction in or waiver of deductibles should you incur a loss to your home and vehicle at the same time (and they are both insured by Auto-Owners).
Other Insurance Products Offered by Auto-Owners Insurance
If you are thinking about bundling coverages, Auto-Owners has a plethora of offerings for you and, according to some reviews, the discounts for bundling are pretty hefty:
- Homeowners insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Renter dwelling insurance
- Mobile home insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Property & valuables insurance
- Farm insurance
- Pet insurance
- Flood insurance
- Other auto insurance products
- Specialty auto insurance, including classic cars, converted or modified cars (driver control modifications, wheelchair lifts)
- Motorcycle insurance
- ATV & off-road vehicle insurance
- Motorhome & RV insurance
- Boat insurance
- Trailer insurance
- Life insurance
- Term life insurance
- Universal life insurance
- Whole life insurance
- Long-term care
- Disability income
- Business insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Workers compensation
- Loss control
- Commercial umbrella
How Can I Buy Auto Insurance from Auto-Owners?
Auto-Owners Insurance is exclusively offered through independent agents. Purchasing policies, therefore, must be done over the phone or in-person with the guidance of an individual agent. As simple as that sounds for some, all that calling, talking, driving, parking, and waiting adds up for those of us who’d rather get an insurance quote with the least amount of human interaction possible.
How Can I Pay for My Auto-Owners Car Insurance Policy?
You can pay for your Auto-Owners car insurance policy on its website or through its app. If you like to pay the old-fashioned way, you can contact your individual agent for payment options.
How Often Will Auto-Owners Increase My Premiums?
That’s an excellent question, and one you should be sure to ask your independent agent about. According to several online reviews, Auto-Owners rates increase very little year after year. On average, the price you’re quoted by any insurance company should be guaranteed anywhere from 6 to 12 months, at which point the company will review things like driving record and payment history to determine your new rate.
For any insurance company, don’t be surprised when rate renewal comes around, and your rate skyrockets.
How Does Auto-Owners’ Claims Process Work?
- Making a claim: Unless a claim is to be made after hours, Auto-Owners directs its customers to their individual representative for making a claim. Though many companies have centralized their claims process by having customers call a single number, Auto-Owners boasts the benefits of having 100 claims offices in 26 states.
- Keeping up with the claim: Once a claim is filed, you can follow claim activity and status updates through Auto-Owners’ online Customer Center or by using its policy and payments app, Auto-Owners Mobile.
- Receiving claim payments: Auto-Owners customers have the option to receive claim payments through Auto-Owners Claim Card, which can be used wherever Visa debit cards are accepted.
How Can I Cancel My Auto-Owners Car Insurance Policy?
Canceling your Auto-Owners Car insurance policy will require you to again, contact your individual agent in person or by phone.
And don’t be surprised if you get a little pushback, as no one likes to lose business. But it’s your right to build a policy you are proud of, all loyalties aside.
If you are hit with a high renewal rate, avoid the knee-jerk reaction of canceling right away. You never want to be without coverage. It’s best to cool your jets and secure new coverage first before axing your old insurer. One easy way to find the best rates, fast, is by comparing quotes online—in seconds—with Insurify.
How Much Does Uber/Lyft Coverage Cost with Auto-Owners?
Uber and Lyft drivers, you are out of luck if you are looking for Auto-Owners to provide rideshare insurance. It does not cover rideshare drivers at this time.
Insurance Companies Similar to Auto-Owners
Another tried and true insurer similar to Auto-Owners is The Hartford. Though the Hartford’s business extends to all 50 states, both are Fortune 500 mutual insurance companies, cover home, life, auto, and business, and are in the business of insuring “preferred,” mature drivers. Other similar companies include Travelers—the second-largest writer of U.S. commercial property-casualty insurance and the third-largest writer of U.S. personal insurance through independent agents.
According to Insurify’s analysis of over 2 million car insurance applications, as well as external quoting data, policyholders with Auto-Owners will most often switch to the following companies:
Auto-Owners Customer Satisfaction and Policyholder Reviews
Keeping in mind that the number of online compliments any kind of company receives are overshadowed by complaints, the general pattern of negative complaints about Auto-Owners insurance is as follows:
- Some have complained that Auto-Owners doesn’t stand up to other insurers in court.
- Several non-Auto-Owners policyholders waiting for responses about and insurance a claim have said that Auto-Owners is very slow to respond.
- Some have complained that they were hit with rate increases that didn’t make sense.
But on a more positive note, there seems to be a consensus that bundling discounts are very good and that Auto-Owners’ rate increases year over year are marginal.
Auto-Owners Mobile App Review
Auto-Owners has two apps: one for payments and account review, the other for telematics.
Auto-Owners Mobile provides Auto-Owners policyholders with payments and policy access 24/7. Here you can pay your bill, set up and manage automatic payments, access policy documents, and check the status of a claim and view claims history. Reviews are average—most reviews suggest that the company adds the capacity to print and other features to improve the application. But overall, it seems to at least do what it says and scores a 4.1 from customers on Google Play.
Auto-Owners’ telematics app, TrueRide, rewards positive driving behavior and is available for both iOS and Android devices. It’s an optional program, of course. But who wouldn’t want a discount just for enrolling? Once you download and activate the app, all you have to do is drive (drive well, that is), and you may be eligible for a discount of up to 35 percent upon renewal. The discount you receive (the average discount according to Auto-Owners is 15 percent) is based on scoring that reflects how well, how far, where, and what time of day you drive.
It doesn’t have high scores on Google Play or the App Store, mostly due to battery life and concern for which activities affect a driver’s score, but kudos to Auto-Owners’ customer service team for responding to each of these reviews with useful information.
|App store||Ratings (Out of 5)||User reviews|
|Mobile App (iOS)||3.4||38|
|Mobile App (Android)||4.1||80|
Frequently Asked Questions: Auto-Owners Car Insurance
How does Auto-Owners car insurance compare to that of The Hartford?
Both Auto-Owners and The Hartford are Fortune 500, mutual insurance providers and offer a wide range of insurance products for car, home, life, and business. Though payments and other things can be transacted online, the majority of their business is done person-to-person.
Does Auto-Owners offer a safe driving discount?
Auto-Owners offers a safe driving discount through its TrueRide telematics app.
How can I reach Auto-Owners for information about rates and discounts?
Auto-Owners is very adamant about pushing you towards individual agents to answer questions about rates and discounts. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle and just want answers quickly, using Insurify to compare car insurance quotes quickly may be your best bet.
Is Auto-Owners the cheapest car insurance in your area?
Auto-Owners is a big company in a bigger company. Though its reputation is hard to beat, and it does have discounting options, it doesn’t give the impression that it’s for everyone. Insurance-wise, it could be a good deal, but is it the best deal for you? You could build a spreadsheet, call a few hundred companies, and chew on that for a while.
Auto-Owners Auto Insurance Overview
Founded in 1916, Auto-Owners Insurance Company is a subsidiary of Auto-Owners Insurance Group, headquartered in Lansing, Michigan. The company is represented by over 47,000 licensed agents in 26 states and offers multiple lines of insurance, including life, home, auto, and business. Other Auto-Insurance Group companies include Owners Insurance Company, Property-Owners Insurance Company, Auto-Owners Life Insurance Company, Home-Owners Insurance Company, and Southern-Owners Insurance Company.
Auto-Owners is rated A++ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, a nationally recognized independent insurance rating authority, and is also a Fortune 500 company.
Auto-Owners Contact Information
Auto-Owners makes it pretty clear that you should contact your local, independent Auto-Owners agent before seeking anyone else out on its website or over the phone (except for Roadside Assistance and after hours, emergency claims). This includes any discussions regarding claims, billing, and changes in your Auto-Owners policy.
Main Auto-Owners Contact number 1 (517) 323-1200
Fax number 1 (517) 323-8796
Emergency Claim 1 (888) 252-4626
Roadside Assistance 1 (888) 869-2642
Agent locator Find an auto-owners agent
Corporate Office 6101 Anacapri Blvd., Lansing MI, 48917