NJM Insurance has been in business since 1913 and has wowed customers and industry organizations alike with its excellent customer service. With a range of policy and discount options for auto, home, and other personal insurance products, drivers in NJ, CT, and PA can feel confident with an NJM policy.
Who Benefits Most and Least from NJM Insurance?
- Drivers who live in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut
- Families who can benefit from discounts available at all stages of life, like drivers under 21 taking driver’s ed, and seniors passing mature driver improvement courses
- Anyone who has other property to protect, like a home or a motorcycle, and wants to do so through one insurance provider
Not the Best For…
- Those who prefer to work with a local, independent agent in person
- Anyone who doesn’t qualify for the many discount offerings available through NJM
NJM: A Mid-Atlantic auto insurance legacy
NJM Insurance has been around for over a century and currently serves drivers in New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Although it got its start as a workers’ compensation insurance provider, NJM has established itself as a leader in the auto insurance industry with awards and reviews attesting to its superior customer service and auto claims experience.
Policyholders can qualify for a range of discounts depending on other property they insure through NJM, safety features, and commitment to being a better driver. If you don’t qualify for discounts, it may not be the cheapest option available, but this is nonetheless an auto insurance company drivers have come to trust.
NJM Car Insurance Ratings
Insurify Composite Score: 89 out of 100. This score is calculated by analyzing multiple factors that indicate the quality, reliability, and health of an insurance company. Inputs to the score include financial strength ratings from A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch; J.D. Power ratings; Consumer Reports customer satisfaction surveys; mobile app reviews; and user-generated company reviews.
U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study (2018)
|Overall Satisfaction||Among the best|
|First Notice of Loss (FNOL)||Better than most|
|Claim Servicing||Better than most|
|Estimation Process||Better than most|
|Repair Process||Among the best|
|Rental Experience||Better than most|
|Settlement||Among the best|
J.D. Power Ratings by Region (out of 1,000)
|Mid-Atlantic||864||Among the best|
NJM Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
No two insurance companies are exactly alike, and neither are drivers. Without comparing quotes based on your unique situation, you may not find the company and policy that offers you the best value and qualifying discounts.
Auto Insurance Quotes Comparison: NJM vs. Competitors
To see how NJM stacked up to its competition, Insurify’s team of data scientists gathered quotes from NJM, GEICO, and Progressive. Below are the average quotes for drivers in New Jersey who are under 40:
And here are the average quotes for New Jersey drivers with a speeding ticket on their record:
Finally, these are the average quotes for New Jersey drivers with an accident on their record:
According to the quotes we’ve gathered, NJM car insurance quotes are actually cheaper than quotes from GEICO or Progressive. This, coupled with NJM’s solid record for stellar customer service, makes it a pretty good option for those buying car insurance.
Drivers Can SAVE with these Discounts from NJM
NJM gives its customers numerous ways to save on car insurance.
Protecting more of your property can help you save when you add multiple vehicles to your policy, or bundle home and auto insurance with NJM.
How you pay can also lead to savings. With discounts for having automatic electronic payments and paying in full, and even going paperless (CT and PA only), you can save money while simplifying your payment process.
If you’re committed to learning, you could see discounts on your premium. Drivers over the age of 60 in Pennsylvania and Connecticut can get discounts for attending mature driver safety courses, while drivers of any age in New Jersey can get up to five percent off with a Defensive Driving course. For those in high school and college, getting good grades and making the dean’s list can also earn you a discount.
These NJM discounts all vary by state and driver:
- Home and Auto Policy Bundle
- New Car
- Paid in Full
- Paperless (CT and PA only)
- Mature Driver course (CT and PA only)
- Driving School for drivers under 21 years old
- Vehicle Safety Equipment
States Where NJM Car Insurance is Offered
NJM Auto Insurance is available in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Policies vary slightly between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, which are “no-fault” states, and Connecticut, which is not. However, basics like collision, comprehensive, and underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage are available in all three states.
Click here to find the cheapest car insurance quotes in your state.
NJM Auto Insurance Coverages
NJM offers standard auto insurance policies across Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. However, being that New Jersey and Pennsylvania are no-fault states, the requirements for drivers residing there vary slightly.
- Liability (BI/PD): If you’re found at fault in an accident or are sued by another party, liability insurance helps cover the cost of bodily injury and property damage expenses you owe to the other party.
- Comprehensive/Collision: To ensure that you can cover any expenses to fix damage to your vehicle, this coverage helps pay for repairs. Whether you’re involved in an accident with another car (collision), or your vehicle sustains damage from an “act of God,” like a falling tree (comprehensive), at least part of your expenses will be covered with this policy.
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage: You can’t control who gets into an accident with you, and unfortunately, some drivers don’t carry sufficient insurance to cover the cost of the damage they caused. Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist coverage helps pay for expenses that should be covered by an at-fault driver who lacks the coverage to pay it out.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)/Medical Expenses: Also called no-fault insurance, these are required in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but optional in Connecticut. Medical Expenses coverage pays for the cost of necessary medical procedures following an accident, while PIP covers the non-medical repercussions, like lost wages, hired help, and even funeral costs.
Other Special Auto Coverages Offered by NJM Insurance
In addition to regular auto insurance, NJM offers a range of endorsements you can add to your policy to close any gaps in your coverage and give yourself added peace of mind.
- Gap Insurance: An adjuster can determine that your vehicle is a total loss after an accident if the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the insured vehicle. A total loss results in the policyholder being paid out for the value of the car instead.
This can be bad news for some who still owe more than the value of the vehicle on their car loan or lease, particularly if you’ve just purchased a new car. Fortunately, gap insurance protects you from this very scenario, covering any balance of payments you would owe in the future.
This add-on is time-sensitive—policyholders can enroll in gap insurance only for the first 30 days after adding a vehicle to a policy.
- Transportation Expense: If your car is in the shop after an accident, you’ll still need to get to work and elsewhere around town. Transportation Expense coverage is an add-on that helps cover the cost of getting from place to place without a car. Different from standard rental reimbursement coverage, this endorsement will cover a predetermined portion of a rental car or the cost of taxis and rideshare services.
- Roadside Assistance: Knowing that help is only ever a phone call away can give you peace of mind. With the roadside assistance endorsement, you’ll be able to call for help 24/7 for on-site labor or towing services, without any deductible. If you end up paying for help out of pocket and you have this coverage, you may even be able to be reimbursed.
- Trailer/Camper Body Coverage: If you often travel with a camper in tow, this coverage can help protect your R+R while you’re en route to vacation. This add-on covers damages to the body of a camper, plus any equipment attached or inside like awnings and appliances, when it’s towed behind a vehicle that’s already insured by NJM.
- Classic/Collector’s Car Insurance: NJM policyholders can insure their classic or collector’s vehicle through the company’s partnership with American Modern. This add-on offers flexible policy options, where you’re in control of what mileage plan you choose and can establish an agreed-upon value of the vehicle upfront, so you don’t need to worry about it later.
Other Insurance Products Offered by NJM Insurance
NJM offers policies to homeowners and renters to bundle with auto insurance policies, as well as niche coverage options through its partnership with American Modern.
- Homeowners and Condo insurance: A standard homeowners policy includes liability and property damage coverage. However, with NJM, you can select from targeted policy add-ons to suit your situation. Additional coverages available include:
- Fraud protection
- Identity fraud protection
- Earthquake coverage
- Water backup
- Fungi damage (including dry rot)
- Supplemental Loss (for the amount owed to a condo or homeowners association, up to $5,000)
- Renters Insurance: You may not own your building, but you can still protect the items inside your abode. Renters insurance covers your belongings that are damaged from events like pipe leaks, lost valuables, and the cost of break-ins.
- Personal Umbrella Insurance: If you end up liable for an amount greater than your auto or home insurance policy covers, umbrella insurance makes up the difference up to a certain limit.
- Flood Insurance: Whether you have a body of water nearby that’s known to overflow or want to be prepared for heavy rainfall or snowmelt, flood insurance protects your home from unexpected water damage.
- Business Insurance: Since 1913, NJM has offered businesses its original product, workers’ compensation. Since then, offerings have expanded to include commercial auto and liability insurance as well.
Through its partnership with American Modern, NJM offers policyholders these additional insurance coverages:
- Motorcycle/ATV Insurance: Protect your equipment, whether it be a bike, ATV, or even a golf cart.
- Watercraft: All kinds of personal watercraft are insured by this policy. Even better, experienced boat owners and those who participate in safety courses could get a discount on their premium.
How Can I Buy Auto Insurance from NJM?
NJM is a direct carrier, meaning you need to buy a policy straight from the company. You can purchase a policy either by getting a quote online or by calling the customer service line. Representatives can assist you over the phone Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:15 PM at 1 (888) 656-4467.
Before you commit to any one company, you should always compare quotes so you can know you’re getting the coverage you need. It only takes a few minutes to get a personalized quote list with Insurify, with options tailored to your needs and driver history.
How Can I Pay for My NJM Car Insurance Policy?
NJM makes it easy to pay for your policy with many avenues for payment. You can pay your bill online, by phone, or by mail.
Online payments are easy to set up through the personal policy portal. Simply log on to manage your bill and view past statements. Even better, NJM doesn’t force you into signing up for an online account just to pay your bill electronically—you can sign in as a guest to process a one-time payment, any time.
If you prefer to pay by phone, you can do so using the automated system and process a payment from your debit card, credit card, or checking or savings accounts. Although some might prefer human confirmation of payment, the automated system is the only way to pay by phone, as customer service representatives aren’t allowed to collect any payment information. On the other hand, this means you can make a payment 24/7. Just call 1 (800) 232-6600, select “Option 1,” and then dial ext. 4125.
If pen and paper is more your thing, you can mail in a check to:
NJM Insurance Group
P.O. Box 70167
Philadelphia, PA 19176-0167
How Often Will NJM Increase My Premiums?
There’s no standard set for when NJM could increase premiums, but there are common reasons across all insurance companies that could lead to an increase in your rate.
Often, new claims on your policy, moving to a new ZIP code, or failing to qualify for a previous discount can all lead to a higher rate.
How Does NJM’s Claims Process Work?
Getting in an accident is a stressful event, but NJM makes the claims process easy with above-average customer service and multiple ways to file your claim. Whether you choose to report your claim by phone or online, it’s best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.
If you prefer to speak with a live human to report your claim, the First Notice of Loss team is available by phone 24/7 by calling 1 (800) 367-6564.
You can also report your claim online by logging into your personal policy portal day or night and submitting all the required information there.
For a seamless process, be sure to have the following information handy when you call or log onto your account:
- Insurance Policy Number
- Name of the primary policyholder, if not you
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- Any photos, if you have them
- A police report, if you have one
The time it takes for a claim to be fully processed can vary depending on your coverage and the complexity of the crash. However, with multiple awards and customer reviews applauding NJM’s claims service, you can feel confident your claim will be processed quickly and fairly.
How Can I Cancel My NJM Car Insurance Policy?
If you need to cancel your NJM car insurance policy, you can do so by calling the customer service line at 1 (800) 232-6600.
Before you cancel, be sure to line up another policy first. Going without coverage for any period leaves you vulnerable in case of an accident. Using a comparison site like Insurify can help you find the best company to switch to when it’s time for a change.
How Much Does Uber/Lyft Coverage Cost with NJM?
Rideshare and TNC drivers require special rideshare insurance coverage to be fully protected. A personal auto policy leaves gaps in coverage that aren’t picked up by the TNC company’s commercial policy, leaving you at risk if you’re in an accident while on the job.
NJM Insurance offers Rideshare Driver coverage that pays out depending on what phase of the job a driver is in. There are three possible phases:
- Phase 1: Standby
- Phase 2: En route to pick up a passenger
- Phase 3: Driving with a passenger
Liability and Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Rideshare coverage only apply when a driver is in Phase 1, driving or idling with the app logged on, waiting to be matched with a passenger.
Once the driver enters phases 2 and 3, the TNC company’s commercial insurance kicks in, so coverage isn’t totally cut and dry. In these stages, PIP only covers the driver (not the passenger), and Property Damage makes up the difference between the two companies’ deductibles.
Rideshare drivers interested in this added coverage should call the customer service line at 1 (800) 232-600 to enroll.
Insurance Companies Similar to NJM
Although NJM only offers auto insurance policies in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, its competitors include large national brands like USAA, GEICO, and Allstate.
With highly-rated customer service and comprehensive policy options, NJM competes with these larger national insurers, but according to reviews, NJM can be more costly for some drivers.
According to Insurify’s internal database of over 2 million car insurance applications and analysis of external sources, people who previously held New Jersey Manufacturers auto insurance policies and decided to change providers most often switched to Liberty Mutual and Mercury.
NJM Customer Satisfaction and Policyholder Reviews
NJM Insurance Company has overwhelmingly positive reviews and boasts a 93 percent customer retention rate according to its website.
Trusted industry names have noticed, leading NJM to be recognized for outstanding customer service and claims servicing by both J.D. Power and Consumer Reports.
Customers echo these sentiments in online reviews:
Complaints about NJM are hard to come by, but most highlight that it may not be the cheapest company out there compared to other brands. Of course, the cost of your premium will depend on your driving history, location, and discounts for which you qualify.
NJM Mobile App Review
NJM does have a mobile app, but it’s not for policy management.
NJM SafeDrive is an optional telematics program that rewards drivers with a discount for participation. The mobile app lets participants track their driving behavior, such as acceleration, speed, braking, cornering, and distracted driving. The goal is to help drivers improve bad on-road habits, and the app even feeds into a leaderboard so you can compete with other users.
While this isn’t the functionality many hope for from an auto insurance mobile app, it’s a valuable resource for anyone who wants to be a safer driver and an easy opt-in for another discount on your car insurance premium.
Frequently Asked Questions: NJM Car Insurance
How can I check my NJM account balance?
You can view your NJM billing information by logging into the personal insurance portal. Just visit www.njm.com and enter your credentials, or set up an account. You can also pay your most recent bill and set up recurring payments from here.
What does NJM roadside assistance cover?
If you’ve added an NJM Roadside Assistance endorsement to your policy, you have access to 24/7 on-site labor for minor repairs (like a tire change), as well as towing to a repair shop. For expenses you need to cover out of pocket that fall under these categories, you can request a reimbursement from NJM.
How do I cancel my NJM Auto Insurance policy?
Time to move on from NJM Auto Insurance? Be sure to enroll in a new policy first to protect yourself. A site like Insurify can help you compare quotes based on your most current circumstances. Once you’ve got yourself covered, you can cancel your NJM Auto Insurance policy by calling the customer service line during regular business hours at 1 (800) 232-6600.
Is NJM the cheapest car insurance in your area?
NJM Insurance offers flexible policy options and a wide range of discounts that drivers can qualify for. However, that doesn’t mean it’s the cheapest car insurance option for everyone in CT, NJ, and PA.
To get the best value that meets your needs with car insurance, use a site like Insurify to compare quotes.
Insurify takes your personal information and auto insurance needs into account to present policy options that will give you the value and protection you need.
NJM Auto Insurance Overview
NJM Auto Insurance is a subsidiary of NJM Insurance, or New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company, which was founded in 1913 originally for the sole purpose of providing workers’ compensation insurance to New Jersey employers. A few years later, in 1921, it started offering personal auto and homeowners insurance policies, and the rest is history.
Now, NJM Insurance is an industry leader for both claims and customer service and has been recognized by both J.D. Power and Consumer Reports for providing an exceptional customer experience. Customers echo this sentiment with an average of 93 percent customer retention rate year to year. Personal auto policies are currently available in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
For almost as long as its existence, NJM insurance has given its customers incentives and programs to improve their skills and stay safe on the roads. From its start as a workers’ compensation insurer helping companies improve safety to reduce and prevent accidents in the 1940s, to recent initiatives like 2013’s “DNT TXT N DRV” pledge against distracted driving, and the more recent Teen Driver Safety Program in 2017, NJM has shown a genuine commitment to its customers through safety initiatives and stellar service record.
NJM Contact Information
Customer service phone number 1 (800) 232-6600
Customer service email address Online form
Headquarters address NJM Insurance Group, 301 Sullivan Way, West Trenton, NJ 08628-0227
Claims service phone number 1 (800) 367-6564
Website URL www.njm.com