Direct Auto Insurance Company provides non-standard insurance options to drivers across the southeastern and midwestern regions and Eastern seaboard of the United States. With a range of policy and payment options and many opportunities for discounts, high-risk drivers can secure full coverage insurance at an affordable price.
Who Benefits Most and Least from Direct Auto Insurance?
- Non-standard drivers who may struggle to get coverage elsewhere
- Customers who value easy-to-access and clear policy information available online
- Those who can take advantage of the wide range of discounts available, like active duty military, good students, and households with multiple vehicles to insure
Not the Best For…
- Anyone outside of the thirteen states where Direct Auto is available
- Customers seeking a larger and more established and traditional car insurance provider
Direct Auto: To-the-point policies for all walks of life
Direct Auto Insurance, formerly known as Direct General, has been in business since 1991 and operates out of Nashville, Tennessee. The company’s goal is to provide affordable insurance to non-standard drivers, so many drivers will find coverage options and discounts that meet their needs.
Flexible payment options let you take control of your billing cycle: you can choose your payment date, select down payment options, and even pay by text message, making keeping up with your bill easy. While many customers seem to be happy with their coverage, some customer reviews note a lack of transparency for processing timelines and additional fees.
Direct Auto Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
Your car insurance should change with you. If your coverage needs, discount qualifications, or even location, change over time, it may mean you should start shopping around to make sure you’re getting the best insurance policy for you.
Auto Insurance Quotes Comparison: Direct Auto vs. Competitors
To see how Direct Auto’s prices stacked up to those of its competitors’, Insurify’s data team compared Direct Auto’s car insurance quotes to quotes from GEICO and Progressive. The following are the average Direct Auto, GEICO, and Progressive quotes for drivers under 40 years old in Mississippi:
Direct General $21/mo
These are the average quotes for drivers with a speeding ticket in Mississippi:
Direct General $25/mo
Finally, these are the average quotes for Mississippi drivers with an accident on their record:
Direct General $39/mo
Direct Auto seems to be the cheapest option, on average, for Mississippi drivers. But remember: these prices aren’t necessarily the ones you’ll see while shopping for insurance quotes online. So always be sure to research your options and compare auto insurance quotes online.
Drivers Can SAVE with these Discounts from Direct Auto
Direct Auto customers have opportunities to save based on driver traits, policy options, and affiliations.
You can get rewarded for your loyalty with discounts for having multiple vehicles on your policy, and for opting into other insurance products with Direct Auto like term life insurance. Additionally, if you’ve been a Direct Auto customer in the past (at least longer than six months ago), you could take advantage of the Welcome Back discount, saving you up to six percent on your premium.
Safety counts with Direct Auto. Senior citizens who successfully complete a defensive driving course can save up to five percent, while good students and safe drivers can save up to 10 percent.
Here’s a complete listing of discounts––however, some restrictions may apply by state.
Military Discount up to 25%
Multi-car Discount up to 25%
Prior Coverage Discount up to 25%
Homeowner Discount up to 15%
Safe Driver Discount up to 10%
Good Student Discount up to 10%
Welcome Back Discount up to 6%
Senior Citizen Discount up to 5%
Low Mileage Discount up to 5%
Multi-product Discount up to 5%
Affinity Partner Discount up to 5%
Renewal Discount up to 20%
States Where Direct Auto Car Insurance is Offered
Direct Auto Insurance is available in 13 states across the Southeastern U.S. While it’s possible to buy a policy online or over the phone, storefront offices with Direct Auto agents are open in all thirteen states.
Direct Auto Insurance is available in the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Click here to find the cheapest car insurance quotes in your state.
Direct Auto Auto Insurance Coverages
Direct Auto Insurance offers a wide range of policy options giving you full coverage for your vehicle, as well as other protection plans. Here are the standard options for auto insurance policies:
- Liability (BI/PD): Liability coverage is required to some degree in at-fault states and includes Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD). This coverage helps cover injuries and damage sustained by the other driver in an accident where you are at fault.
- Comprehensive/collision: Both of these coverages pay for some or all of the cost of damage to your vehicle, but in different scenarios. Comprehensive pays for damage where no one can be found “at fault,” like when a falling tree lands on your vehicle or you’re involved in a hit-and-run. On the other hand, collision insurance pays for damage to your car when other vehicles are involved in the accident.
- Medical Payments Coverage: Don’t be caught off guard with high medical bills after an accident. Medical Payments coverage helps pay for medical expenses related to an auto accident but isn’t restricted to when you’re inside your covered vehicle.
- Personal Injury Protection: Personal Injury Protection, also called “PIP,” covers everything Medical Payments coverage does, but also extends to help pay for funeral expenses and lost wages. No-fault states like Texas require PIP coverage for all drivers.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: If your car is damaged in an accident, you may need to wait for your vehicle to be up and running. If you need a car to do the daily essentials in your life, rental car reimbursement helps pay for a rental so you can keep moving even when your vehicle is in the shop following an accident.
- Emergency Protection: This add on coverage shares elements of protection with rental reimbursement, medical payments, and roadside assistance, but with fewer restrictions. For example, you could use an Emergency Protection payout to help cover a health care deductible or get no-strings-attached cash for days spent in the hospital to help cover things like rent and groceries back home.
- Accidental Death: If you’re killed in a covered auto accident, this coverage will pay out up to $5,000 to a designated beneficiary.
Other Special Auto Coverages Offered by Direct Auto Insurance
In addition to regular auto insurance products, policyholders can also add on optional roadside assistance in case of emergency, as well as Mexico Auto Insurance for planned visits by car to the country.
- Roadside Assistance: This add on coverage gives you 24/7 peace of mind with access to towing, essential fluids delivery (like gas), jumpstarts, lockout assistance, and flat tire replacement.
Drivers who like to plan ahead without the help of technology might also be interested in this coverage. Roadside Assistance with Direct Auto offers concierge benefits, like route planning and paper maps, to help keep you on track wherever you’re going.
- Mexico Auto Insurance: Whether you’re taking a road trip south of the border for a day, or an extended period, you’ll want to protect yourself in case of an accident. Mexico Auto Insurance coverage helps pay for comprehensive and collision damage, civil liability, bail/bond, and medical expenses. Without the right insurance coverage, you could be barred from leaving the country following an accident until the legalities and finances are resolved, so it’s best to be prepared.
Other Insurance Products Offered by Direct Auto Insurance
Direct Auto offers car insurance policyholders a discount for bundling an auto insurance policy with any of its other insurance products, saving customers up to five percent off their premium.
- Motorcycle Insurance: Stay safe on the open road with motorcycle insurance from Direct Auto. In addition to standard coverage options, bike-specific coverage includes custom parts and equipment replacement that helps pay for saddlebags, chrome pieces, and backrests that are affected in an accident, as well as total bike replacement as part of comprehensive and collision coverage.
- Term Life Insurance: If you worry about what could happen to your family if you died unexpectedly, you might want to consider Term Life Insurance. This type of policy pays a set amount to a designated beneficiary in the event of your death, up to $25,000. It’s meant to relieve the financial burden of loss of income, funeral expenses, living costs, and even tuition for children.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: Businesses with fleets of any size can protect their vehicles and drivers with Direct Auto.
How Can I Buy Auto Insurance from Direct Auto?
If you’re interested in purchasing an auto insurance policy from Direct Auto, you have a few options. It’s easy to get a quote online and sign up directly through the company website, but you could also call the main customer service line at 1 (877) 463-4732 to get started.
Direct Auto also operates through storefront locations across the states it serves. If meeting an agent in person is more your speed, you can buy a policy directly in your local office.
How Can I Pay for My Direct Auto Car Insurance Policy?
Direct Auto offers policyholders a few payment options when it comes to how and when you pay your bill. You can pay your Direct Auto bill by phone, online, by text, or in person.
Online and phone payments can be made with a debit card, credit card, or checking account. Just have your policy number handy as you’ll need it to log on to your online account or to provide to a customer service rep.
Direct Auto’s pay by text option allows you to receive bill reminders and authorize payments via text. All you have to do is enroll online to set up your mobile number and connect your payment method of choice.
Direct Auto also accepts cash payments in person in any of its storefront locations.
As a Direct Auto policyholder, you also get flexible payment plans. You can select a monthly bill due date that works for your budgeting, and even adjust the amount of your monthly payment by putting more into your down payment.
How Often Will Direct Auto Increase My Premiums?
There’s no set schedule as to when auto insurance premiums might increase. However, things, like losing qualifications for discounts, moving to a new ZIP code, and having new claims on your policy, can all result in raised premiums. If you’re about to experience a life event that you worry will affect your auto insurance premiums, call Direct Auto customer service or speak with your local agent to prepare yourself for any changes.
How Does Direct Auto’s Claims Process Work?
If you’ve been in an accident, you should report a claim as soon as possible so you can get your car fixed and back to normal life as quickly as possible.
You can report your claim by phone during Direct Auto’s business hours, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, by calling 1-800-403-1077. Once you’ve given your details, an adjuster will be in touch with you by the next business day.
Once you’ve connected with an adjuster, they will come to evaluate any damage to your vehicle to determine the cost of repairs. You can submit photos of the damage to your car electronically for review by an appraiser using Direct Auto’s online portal for MyClaimsPics. If you prefer the old-fashioned way, you can also have an appraiser assigned to come out and look in person. Either way, you will receive an estimate for any damage so that you can move on to getting repairs underway.
As a Direct Auto customer, you don’t have restrictions on what repair shop you can use, but the company does provide a list of suggestions. You can also defer to your adjuster for advice if you need help selecting an auto-body shop, or even arranging for a rental car.
Once you’ve gotten the claims process started, you can follow up on its status by calling 1 (800) 403-1077 Monday through Friday, from 8:00 to 5:00 EST.
How Can I Cancel My Direct Auto Car Insurance Policy?
Cancellations must be requested in writing, so if it’s time to part ways with Direct Auto, you can do so by email, fax, over the phone, or in person at a local office.
Written requests should include the following information:
- Policy number
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Date policy should be canceled
- Policyholder’s signature
For fax requests, the request must be handwritten and signed by the policyholder. The fax number is 1 (877) 622-7338.
For email requests, use the contact form at directauto.com/emailus. You can also call Direct Auto at 1-877-GO-DIRECT.
Going without auto insurance can leave you vulnerable if you were ever involved in an accident. Avoid a lapse in coverage by lining up your next policy before canceling your current one.
Insurify lets you compare car insurance quotes based on your personal needs, helping you stay covered at a reasonable price.
How Much Does Uber/Lyft Coverage Cost with Direct Auto?
Direct Auto does not currently cover Uber or Lyft drivers with a targeted rideshare insurance plan. However, if you drive for one of these companies, you’ll want to make sure you cover the gaps left open between your personal policy and the rideshare company’s commercial policy.
Insurance Companies Similar to Direct Auto
Although Direct Auto is a non-standard insurance provider, its customer base extends to other drivers as well. As such, drivers might consider different options depending on what they’re looking for in Direct Auto in the first place.
For those needing SR-22 insurance, regional companies like Infinity Auto Insurance could provide similar coverage in many of the same states where Direct Auto is offered. Other drivers might also consider larger national brands like GEICO that offer similar online and phone policy management.
According to Insurify’s internal database of over 2 million car insurance applications and our analysis of external sources, drivers who now hold Direct Auto auto insurance often switched from the following companies:
- State Farm
- The General
We also found that people who previously held Direct Auto insurance often switched to the following companies:
- Assurance America
- Bristol West
Direct Auto Customer Satisfaction and Policyholder Reviews
Direct Auto Insurance customer reviews are overall positive, although some policyholders have had below-average experiences with customer service and the cancellation process. Direct Auto has an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
Happy customers appreciate the affordable prices, consistency in service, and easy-to-use website. Wallethub user CaZondra Robinson praised the company in Spring of 2021 for its strong customer service:
However, Direct Auto may be a mixed bag when it comes to how quickly certain requests are processed, and customers warn of potentially hidden fees. Users sunny reddy and sawilson005 criticized the company for overbilling and for the lack of an easy way to get in touch with customer service agents.
Direct Auto Mobile App Review
Direct Auto Insurance Company does not currently have a mobile app for policy management. However, customers can enroll for pay by text, which sends bill reminders and lets you authorize payments right from your phone.
Frequently Asked Questions: Direct Auto Car Insurance
How much does Direct Auto Insurance cost?
The cost of any insurance premium depends on many factors, including driver history, coverage options, geographic location, and qualifying discounts. Direct Auto Insurance offers quotes through its website, but you may also consider comparing quotes with a site like Insurify. Without comparing premiums and coverage options, you may not be getting the best deal for the insurance you need.
What time does Direct Auto Insurance open?
The customer service line for Direct Auto Insurance is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM, and Saturday from 8:00 AM through 4:00 PM EST. To get in touch, you can call its toll-free line at 1 (877) 463-4732.
How can I cancel my insurance policy with Direct Auto?
Cancellations must be requested in writing, either by fax, email, or by signing a request in person at a local office. You can send a handwritten and signed request by fax that includes your full name, policy number, date of birth, address, and requested cancellation date, to 1 (877) 622-7338. To email a request, use the contact form available at directauto.com/emailus. Before you cancel, don’t forget to line up another insurance policy. Not only are your finances and health at risk without the proper coverage, but you could save on future policies too by avoiding a lapse in coverage. Try using Insurify’s comparison tool to compare quotes with other companies so you can ensure your new policy is a perfect match.
Is Direct Auto the cheapest car insurance in your area?
With so many discount options, Direct Auto may be an affordable option for you and your family. However, other companies could be a better fit as offerings and your life change.
To make sure you get the best deal on the car insurance you need, use an auto insurance comparison site like Insurify to find cheap auto insurance quotes today. Find the best policy for your needs—even if you don’t need to switch today.
Direct Auto Insurance Overview
Direct Auto Insurance Company was founded in 1991 by William Adair, whose goal was to provide an affordable, quality auto insurance option to non-standard drivers. With Tennessee roots, Direct Auto now serves drivers in 13 states across the southeast of the United States. It has expanded to offer a variety of other insurance products, including motorcycle and term life insurance.
Direct Auto sells policies directly through its website, or in-person in one of its many store locations in the states it serves. Drivers may appreciate the range of discounts available that help different lifestyles and age groups save money.
Direct Auto Contact Information
|Customer service phone number||1 (877) 463-4732|
|Customer service email address||Online form|
|Claims service phone number||1 (800) 403-1077|