If you live in a multi-person household, chances are there’s more than one driver in it and more than one vehicle in your driveway. If that’s the case, every vehicle must be insured to be taken on the road. Although it’s not required, it might be worth it to insure all of your household’s vehicles on the same insurance policy. This is also known as a multi-car or multi-vehicle insurance policy.
The main reason to consider a multi-vehicle insurance policy is the potential savings. Many car insurance companies offer a discount when customers insure more than one vehicle on a policy. Since many insurance companies offer a multi-car discount, you should do some comparison shopping. Doing so will ensure that you get the best rate, as companies’ multi-car discounts and the factors that determine your car insurance premium vary.
Insurify helps make comparing multiple car insurance quotes at once easier. With Insurify, you can compare online car insurance quotes from more than 10 companies simultaneously. This will help you find the cheapest car insurance that best meets your needs in less time.
Can I get insurance for two or more cars on the same policy?
You can get insurance for two or more cars on the same policy. In fact, it’s often recommended because of the money you could save on your car insurance premium. Another benefit: if you like your insurer, you will have peace of mind knowing all of your household’s vehicles are getting the same great coverage that you’ve become accustomed to. A multi-vehicle insurance policy can be helpful when you’re a couple with two cars, you have a new driver who’s going to get a new vehicle, or a relative is going to move in with you and still plans to drive.
Multiple Vehicle Discounts
Discounts are typically the most attractive benefit of insuring multiple vehicles on the same policy. Every car insurance sets their multi-car policy discounts differently, but some offer discounts as high as 25 percent, which could lead to significant savings on your premium. Meanwhile, insurers like Nationwide help their policyholders use their multi-vehicle policies to offset potential rate increases, like when a young (also considered high-risk) driver’s vehicle is added to the policy. Whatever discounts are currently associated with the current policy will also be applied to that young driver’s car.
How does a multi-car insurance policy work?
Multi-car insurance policies don’t differ much from single-car insurance policies in terms of how they work. Multi-car policies offer the same types of coverage as their single-vehicle counterparts: liability, collision, and comprehensive. Meanwhile, insurers will want a lot of the same information when you get a quote, specifically, vehicle information for each car you plan to add to the policy and every driver’s information. Car insurance companies will also typically add the multi-car discount to your quote so you can see the potential savings right away.
>>> MORE: Car Insurance Calculator
Multi-car insurance policies often provide some flexibility. Not every vehicle has to have the same coverage. If you’re driving a newer, financed vehicle, you’d want to have full coverage (liability, collision, and comprehensive). But if your teenager has an older, used, completely paid-for car, you might want to just have liability coverage on that vehicle. Please note that coverage applies to the vehicle, not the driver. Your vehicle’s collision coverage would not transfer to your teenager’s car if you were driving it and got into an accident.
Find the average costs for car insurance for multiple cars below, according to Insurify’s proprietary database of millions of unique driver quotes.
|Coverage Level||Average Monthly Cost|
|Liability + Comprehensive and Collision||$302|
What are the pros and cons of multiple-car insurance policies?
Before you go ahead and put all of your vehicles on the same insurance policy, be sure to consider the pluses and minuses of doing so.
Pros of having a multi-vehicle insurance policy include:
- Savings: Car insurance companies want you to insure as many of your vehicles with them as possible. That’s partly why they’re so willing to offer a discount when you insure multiple vehicles on your policy—sometimes as much as 25 percent, according to Bankrate.
- Convenience: Multiple car insurance policies means multiple payments at various times. With a multi-car policy, you’re only making one premium payment at a time, whether you pay monthly, every six months, or annually.
- Shared deductible: If more than one of your vehicles is damaged in the same incident, you only have to pay one deductible if they’re on the same policy. You’d have to pay separate deductibles if that same incident damaged vehicles that were on different policies.
Cons of having a multi-vehicle insurance policy include:
- Bigger one-time payment: The benefit of having a multi-car insurance payment is having only one payment to make. That one payment can be quite hefty when your renewal dates hit since you’re paying the entire rate at once.
- Various discount amounts: It’s great that many car insurance companies offer multi-car insurance policies, but those discounts aren’t all the same, leaving you to comparison shop. Fortunately, Insurify offers solutions to help make this process a lot easier and more efficient.
- Potentially higher premiums: Who’s being added to your multi-vehicle insurance policy will play a major factor in your rate. If your policy includes a new or high-risk driver, it could increase your overall premium and potentially offset the discount an insurer is offering you.
Best Car Insurance Companies for Insuring Two or More Vehicles
There are a number of car insurance companies that offer multi-vehicle insurance policies. Here are some of the best car insurance companies for insuring two or more vehicles, based on Insurify’s proprietary data:
Clearcover policyholders spend an average of $170 per month when they insure more than one vehicle on their policy.
Elephant isn’t too far behind Clearcover when it comes to multi-car insurance policy discounts. Policyholders spend $195 per month on average for their multiple-car insurance premiums.
As far as national brands go, Progressive offers a relatively decent rate for policyholders who insure more than one car. Progressive policyholders pay an average of $190 per month for their car insurance premium.
Steps to Buy Multi-Car Insurance and Tips to Save with Insurify
Buying a multi-vehicle car insurance policy doesn’t differ much from purchasing insurance coverage for a single vehicle. The big difference is you’ll have more information to disclose to the insurer because you’re seeking coverage for multiple vehicles. Here are the steps for buying multi-vehicle insurance:
- Pull together your information. This includes the name, address, date of birth, and driver’s license information for everyone who’s going to be on your auto insurance policy. You’ll also need to have facts about each vehicle and everyone’s driving history on hand.
- Decide what coverage you’ll need. Every state has different minimum car insurance requirements, but you’ll have to decide how much more you’ll want to add. For example, if you have a new car, you’ll want comprehensive coverage and collision. For a younger driver on your policy, liability insurance might suffice. Uninsured motorist, property damage, and bodily injury are additional coverages to consider.
- Shop for car insurance. You have your and your family members’ driving information and have decided on your coverage. Now, it’s time to start getting some multi-car insurance quotes. Most auto insurance companies let you get a free auto insurance quote online or over the phone. The information you provide will determine auto insurance rates.
- Compare your quotes. Be sure to get quotes from at least three different car insurance companies, as their pricing can vary. Don’t just look at prices, however. Compare how much coverage each insurer provides and see how much of a multi-vehicle discount each company offers.
- Buy your policy. Once you find an insurance provider that offers the price and coverage that suits your needs and budget, you’re ready to buy your multi-vehicle policy. You can work with your insurer to determine your payment schedule.
Great news! You don’t have to do the comparison shopping part of this process alone. Insurify can help you determine the best coverage and price in a manner of moments. Insurify’s “Add a Car” option will tell the platform to factor multi-car discounts into the free quotes that are generated for you.
Car Insurance for Two Cars: Quick Questions
How many cars can I cover on one insurance policy?
You can cover as many vehicles as your car insurance company will allow on your multi-car policy. Each insurer sets its own limit, but the maximum is usually four to five vehicles.
What’s the best car insurance company for insuring two cars?
There’s no shortage of car insurance companies that offer savings for insuring more than one car on the same policy. So the best car insurance company for insuring two cars comes down to what you value: coverage, price, both? As mentioned, Clearcover policyholders pay on average $170 a month for a multi-vehicle policy. Be sure to check out the more nationally recognized brands, too, as they offer sizable discounts. GEICO (up to 25 percent), State Farm (20 percent), and Progressive (10 percent) all offer multi-vehicle insurance discounts.
How can I find the cheapest premiums for insuring two or more cars?
Check out Insurify! Rather than getting car insurance rates one company at a time, Insurify lets you compare multiple quotes at once from more than 10 companies. No more bouncing around from site to site to find the cheapest rates or best car insurance discounts. You can find all of that information in one spot with Insurify.