These insurance companies have long supported the LGBTQ community by being inclusive and offering reduced coverage rates.
In the last few years, a lot of ground has been covered in the fight for equal rights for the LGBTQ community in the United States. In 2009, President Obama released a directive on same-sex domestic partner benefits, we repealed Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and of course we won the Supreme Court ruling against the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
But, even after these strides towards equal rights and treatments many LGBTQ community members, including myself, still struggle with the fear and anxiety of being perceived or treated differently by others. And big business is no exception.
According to the MassMutual LGBTQ Financial Security Study conducted in July 2017, 59% of LGBTQ individuals don’t feel financial companies or services actually want to help “people like them.”
Because 53% of us don’t know where to go for help with our finances, retirements savings, insurance, etc. we’re often left in the dark to make risky, uneducated decisions with our money. And this may even cause us to pay more than our heterosexual peers for the same services.
When it comes to LGBTQ couples shopping for insurance together, it’s important to find an insurance company that treats your marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership that same as other heterosexual couples in order to have access to discounts and bundling options.
Being treated the same as other married couples can save you an average of 10% off your auto insurance premiums, while combining your auto insurance policies could save you up to 25% of your total premium.
It’s hard to know where to start looking for insurance companies that truly want the best for you, your partner, or your family. So we’ve put together a list of auto insurance companies known for their support.
7 Insurance Companies that Support the LGBTQ Community
- State Farm: State Farm auto insurance company has supported LGBTQ individuals, couples, and their families long before the Supreme Court same-sex marriage ruling in 2015. The company has been giving same-sex couples the same discounts and customer service as their heterosexual customers for years in states that recognized same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships.Beyond equal financial benefits, State Farm believes in diversity and inclusion at the core of their company as well. State Farm offers featured programs in their workplace, marketplace, and community including an LGBTQ Employee Resource Group that serves as a resource for employee growth and development, recruitment, retention, and solutions that help us better serve our customers. State Farm’s Resource Groups also volunteer within their communities.
- MetLife: Just like State Farm, MetLife insurance company showed their support for the LGBTQ community long before Obergefell v. Hodges. Metlife provided equal savings and customer service to their same-sex couples and families across the U.S.MetLife recently won the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2017 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for their 14th consecutive year for their numerous LGBTQ resource groups including GLAM at Metlife. The CEI is a national benchmark to evaluate corporations on their policies and practices relevant to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees.MetLife also offers their employees and domestic same-sex partners a variety of health care benefits and financial planning resources specifically for LGBTQ individuals and couples.
- Nationwide: Like Metlife, Nationwide has also received a perfect score on their Corporate Equality Index for 10 consecutive years! Whatsmore, Nationwide has partnered with the Human Rights Campaign Foundation in order to give the 1.5 million HRC members and supporters quality insurance products at special, affordable premium rates. Nationwide’s financial support allows the HRC to dedicate more resources to their LGBTQ equality campaigns.Nationwide employees also have access to Associate Research Groups which participate in Pride activities and AID walks.
- Progressive: Progressive also performs very well on their Corporate Equality Index scores for LGBTQ workplace equality, earning a perfect 100% in the 2015 index. The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies is continually recognized for offering domestic partner benefits and transgender-inclusive healthcare benefits to their employers in addition to public engagement with the LGBT community.Progressive has also produced TV advertisements featuring LGBTQ couples and were honored at the 2010 GLAAD Media Awards in Advertising, recognizing outstanding images of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in ad campaigns. Because representation matters.
- Allstate: In 2014, Allstate insurance debut their “Safe In My Hands” and #OutHoldingHands Campaign when many other companies would only display a rainbow flag in the corner of their run of the mill television advertisements. The ad and campaign, released in time for Pride month, called for gay inclusivity and concluded, “Being visible should never leave you feeling vulnerable.”Like State Farm, Allstate was one of the first insurance companies to give equal discounts to same-sex partners in states where same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships were recognized. Allstate has long believed that no matter who you love, you should always be protected and in good hands.
- Esurance: Since 2011, Esurance has been offering equally reduced premium rates to same-sex couples in a handful of states. Since then, Esurance has expanded bundled policies and married discounts on auto insurance to LGBTQ couples across the U.S. whether they’re married, in civil unions, or in domestic partnerships.In the past, Esurance has donated $100,000 to LGBTQ organizations GLAAD, The Trevor Project, and PFLAG in celebration of Pride month.
- Liberty Mutual: Liberty Mutual has shown its support for the LGBTQ community in the past few years by sponsoring Pride parades across America since 2012 with the simple message that everyone deserves the freedom to celebrate. Liberty Mutual has gone well beyond monetary support for the LGBTQ community. Over the years, the insurance company has signed a brief to overturn the Defense of the Marriage Act (DOMA) and supported the Massachusetts Transgender Rights bill. They also offer Pride resource groups to their employees. This year, Liberty Mutual is a finalist in the 9th annual Shorty Awards for their LGBTQ community engagement via social media.
TRENDING CONTENT ON INSURIFY
Many recent college graduates save by bundling auto and renters insurance.
For those with violations on their driving record, consider high risk auto insurance.
Bundling home and auto insurance quotes is also a source of significant savings.
If you recently have had an accident, consider car insurance for bad driving record.