Can you get insurance today?
Yes, most car insurance companies will sell you a policy that lets you drive immediately. In one day, you can buy the vehicle, find the right rate, and ride off with peace of mind!
You’ll need a bit of info, and then you can start comparison shopping between companies. Quotes are free, but check plenty of companies to get the best price.
Insurify lets you look at the competition so you can find a great deal and start your policy whenever you’re ready.
How Can I Get Same Day Car Insurance?
If you’re looking to insure your car today, you can put the keys in the ignition after three easy steps:
- Get quotes with the required information
- Pay for the policy with the best deal
- Print or download your proof of insurance
Before you get quotes, you’ll probably need same day car insurance if you:
- Are at the dealership and need insurance to drive off the lot.
- Bought a car from a private seller.
- Want to get back on the road after garaging your vehicle or having it repaired.
- Received a car as a gift from a friend or family member.
- Need a new policy because of a move or other life change.
How Does Same Day Car Insurance Work?
Technically, every car insurance policy is one-day insurance, because you can cancel at any time. But stopping the day after setting up could cause you to lose a sizable part of your down payment. You may also have to wait a while for a prorated refund. So it’s best to get many free car insurance quotes and select the right option from the start.
What Information Do I Need to Get Same Day Car Insurance?
When you’re ready to set up your auto insurance policy, you’ll need:
- Name, address, date of birth, marital status, and driver’s license numbers for all drivers on the policy. Social Security Number is optional
- Year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (or VIN). Most insurers will not issue a policy without the VIN
- Car’s mileage
- Date of purchase
- Names of registered owners
- Credit, debit, or bank account routing and account number. There may be a discount for automatic payment
- If you’ve financed or leased the car, then you’ll need the bank or lienholder’s name and address. You can add this later, but most insurers want the details upfront if you have it
Same Day Car Insurance Policy Options
Most state minimum insurance requires bodily injury liability coverage and property damage coverage. Some states also require PIP or no-fault coverage, medical payments coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, or underinsured motorist coverage.
When drivers say they have “full coverage,” they’re saying they have liability insurance coverage along with comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. Both comprehensive and collision coverage require you to pay a deductible before the insurance company helps you repair your car. Typical deductibles are $500 or $1,000. You’ll need full coverage if you have a car loan or lease. People who own their vehicle outright may go with “liability only,” skipping any protection for their car.
How Do I Get the Best Price?
A classic mistake many shoppers make is waiting to the last minute and going with the first insurance agent they speak to. The best way to get the most competitive price is to get quotes from several companies.
Insurify lets you get personalized, custom, ready-to-buy quotes online or over the phone—set your policy start date to today, no estimates or tricks! You can even lower your down payment by selecting a higher deductible, or if you’re purchasing the vehicle outright, you can add full coverage later.
What Happens If I Don’t Get Same Day Car Insurance?
To drive legally, you must have car insurance in every state except New Hampshire. Depending on your state, driving without insurance can lead to harsh penalties, including:
- Jail time
- License suspension
- Mandatory SR-22 filing
And if you’ve financed or leased your vehicle, the lender could repossess it. Or the lienholder or bank may attach forced insurance to your car payment. Forced insurance is significantly more expensive than an independent policy.
There is also the possibility of getting in an at-fault accident. If you’re in a wreck, you’ll be ticketed and have to pay out-of-pocket for all medical bills and damages. And you’d be on the hook if your vehicle is vandalized or stolen.
How Can I Get Same Day Car Insurance for My New Car?
You can get insurance in one day with three quick steps:
- Buy the car. If you’re sure you’ll purchase the vehicle and have the VIN, you can get insurance before you pick it up. But we recommend you take possession first, so you avoid wasting money and the hassle of having the insurer re-rate a different car.
- Find the best deal with Insurify and pay for your policy.
- Print or download your proof of insurance and provide it to the dealership or DMV to register your car.
What Might Stop Me from Getting Same Day Insurance?
Here are a few scenarios that can red-light the process:
- Missing info. You’re missing the VIN, a driver’s license number, or other details the insurance company needs.
- Violations or accidents. You have multiple driving violations or at-fault accidents. You may consider an insurance company that sells policies to high-risk drivers. You’ll probably have to pay a higher premium to make up for the fact that you’re a high-risk driver.
- Timing. You’re selecting a different start date to avoid a gap in insurance when you switch from your current company. You don’t have possession of the vehicle. Or you want to take advantage of the discount some insurance companies offer if you pay today and start the policy later.
- Classic, specialty, or rare car coverage. Sometimes insurance companies can’t rate these vehicles. You may want to consider an insurer specializing in this area, such as Chubb.
Frequently Asked Questions: Same Day Car Insurance
Do I need car insurance before I buy the car?
No. While it’s a good idea to get quotes based on the year, make, and model or even the VIN, you don’t need to purchase insurance until you buy the vehicle. We recommend you take possession first or at least know for sure that the car is yours.
Can I get car insurance on the same day as an accident?
It depends. You cannot get retroactive insurance for a vehicle involved in an accident. If you have no auto insurance coverage, you must pay for the injuries and damages out of pocket. But you can get insurance on a different vehicle. Just tell them about the accident when they ask for your driving record.
Can I get car insurance the same day I buy my vehicle?
The best way to find the cheapest same day car insurance quotes is to compare prices from the insurance providers available in your area. Find a car insurance quote comparison site like Insurify? to compare up to 10+ real auto insurance quotes for your driver profile and unlock savings and car insurance discounts. Car insurance rates can vary based on your driving history and personal profile, but you should be able to find a competitive price. Insurify provides the cheapest car insurance quotes and companies in your area in just a few minutes.
Conclusion: The best way to compare quotes and get cheap same day car insurance
How fast can you buy car insurance online at Insurify?
Let’s just say you’ll be happy we don’t give speeding tickets. You can compare the best deals, car insurance coverage options, and companies personalized for your price point. Get instant free quotes today on America’s top-rated auto insurance comparison site.