Assurant has been in business for more than 125 years and offers renters insurance policies in all 50 states.
Assurant is a financially stable company, receiving an A (excellent) rating from A.M. Best. However, its customer service seems to be hit or miss. Mixed reviews show a wide variety of customer service and claims processing experiences.
Even though there’s just one general policy available for purchase directly through Assurant, there is plenty of room to customize to get the best rate and coverage you need. You can select personal liability and property limits based on your needs and budget. Assurant also offers a very low deductible of just $100 if you don’t mind paying a bit more for your premium—but you could also go with more common deductibles of $250 or $500 as well.
You might be happy with your online quote, but it’s still a good idea to compare quotes with other companies. You never know what discounts you could qualify for, or other coverages you could get that suit your unique needs. Insurify helps you get the best rate on renters insurance by comparing real quotes, based on your profile.
Assurant Renters Insurance Quotes
How to Get a Quote for Assurant Renters Insurance
Assurant’s renters insurance site is easy to navigate, and you can get a quote in less than 10 minutes with an online form. All you need to get started is your address and the value of your property to be covered on the policy.
If you’d rather speak with a live human, you can call the quote line at 1 (866) 312-3125.
Discounts Available for Assurant Renters Insurance
Unlike many other renters insurance companies, Assurant doesn’t offer many discounts of its own for renters insurance policies. But GEICO auto insurance members can snag a small discount by bundling policies: Assurant is a GEICO partner and underwrites all many GEICO renters insurance policies.
You can also save money, depending on the payment plan you choose. Assurant gives you the flexibility to pay monthly, quarterly, or annually. The more frequently you pay, the higher your premium. Annual payments are the most affordable overall and are also not subject to the $5 billing fee that’s tacked on to other payment transactions.
Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews: Here’s what people are saying…
Assurant’s website is clean and straightforward, giving the appearance of an easy-to-navigate system. Some customers agree, and feel that the customer service is above average and that the claims processing experience is simple:
However, not all customers appear to have had the same experience. Specific reviews highlight lengthy delays in communication, and unexpected decisions regarding what is or isn’t covered.
Assurant Renters Insurance Coverages
Assurant offers two tiers of renters insurance policy. A liability-only policy gives you bare-bones coverage that will satisfy lease requirements. This coverage is only available to renters whose policy is purchased through GEICO.
For those who buy a renters insurance policy directly through Assurant, there is one standard policy that can easily be customized.
The standard renters policy includes these coverages:
- Personal liability: If someone gets hurt in your unit, or nearby as a result of a covered event coming from your home, this covers the related medical expenses up to your policy limit.
- Property liability: If you experience a fire, water damage, or even an explosion, chances are at least some of your personal belongings will get damaged along the way. Property liability coverage reimburses you for the replacement cost of damaged personal property.
- Mold: Whether your personal property is damaged by mold, or someone in your home falls ill because of it, Assurant renters insurance policies cover the cost to repair your things, or for related medical bills.
- Roommates: Some companies won’t cover your roommates, but that’s not the case with Assurant. As long as you list them on your policy, your roommates’ accidents and belongings are all covered. This means you can split the cost of your premium, and simplify paperwork after a covered loss.
No matter which policy you choose, the range of covered losses is extensive. You’re covered in the event of any of the following incidents:
- Windstorm or hail
- Falling objects
- Ice, snow, or sleet damage
- Burst pipes
- Cracked A/C or heat
- Damage to your property from other vehicles
- Power surge
- Volcanic eruption
Additional coverage options vary by state, but can include:
- Pet damage: If your furry friend damages your belongings, or hurts a guest, your policy will help cover the cost of repair, replacement, or medical bills.
- Water or sewer backup: Your property could be severely damaged after a sewer backup, but the replacement costs may not be covered unless you have this specific endorsement on your policy.
- Earthquake damage: This extra coverage will give you peace of mind if the ground starts to tremble, and your property is damaged as a result.
- Identity fraud expenses: Suffering from identity theft is stressful enough, and that’s without considering the costs you’ll take on trying to get your identity back. If you’re a victim of identity fraud, this will help cover expenses to secure your information.
How to Cancel Assurant Renters Insurance
Even though Assurant does offer online policy management, you can only cancel your policy by calling the Customer Care department at 1 (800) 432-8612. It’s clear from the website that even if you cancel your policy early, you’ll receive a prorated refund for the remaining months. This is good news for subletters and those who frequently move, as Assurant’s policies are only sold in one-year terms.
Other Insurance Products Offered by Assurant
Renters insurance is the main direct to consumer insurance offered by Assurant, but certain states can purchase a supplemental home insurance policy through Assurant as well.
There is a wide range of other insurance and protection policies in partnership with other financial institutions and companies. Some of these products include insurance or protection for:
- Mobile device lifecycle management
- Product protection
- Lender-placed insurance
- Flood insurance
- Landlord insurance for multi-family properties
- Manufactured housing insurance
- Pre-funded funeral insurance
Assurant Renters Insurance FAQ
How can I cancel my Assurant renters insurance policy?
You can cancel your Assurant renters insurance policy by phone. Just call customer care at 1 (800) 432-8612 to get started. Even though Assurant offers online policy management, it’s not possible to cancel your policy online or in writing.
How can I file a claim with Assurant renters insurance?
If you need to report a covered loss, you can do so by phone by calling 1 (800) 358-0600, or by logging into your online account.
What does Assurant renters insurance cover?
Assurant offers a standard renters insurance policy to customers who purchase directly through the company. No matter where you live, this policy covers personal and property liability, mold, and your roommates. Depending on where you live, there are certain upgrades you can add-on like pet damage and earthquake protection.
Conclusion: How to Save on Insurance Costs
Renters insurance is known to be one of the cheapest insurance coverages out there, but you should still always compare quotes before purchasing a policy.
How much you pay for a renters insurance policy depends on a few factors, like where you live, the value of your property, add-on coverages, and your claims history. This means that even companies known to be the cheapest may not be the best fit for you.
Instead of trying to compare quotes on many different websites, use Insurify. You’ll be able to compare quotes based on your personal information in one place, making it simple to find the best insurance company (at the best price!) for you.
Need to save on car insurance or home insurance? Check out Insurify today.
Assurant Renters Insurance Contact Information
|Customer care phone number||1 (800) 432-861|
|New customer phone number||1 (866) 312-3125|
|Claims service phone number||1 (800) 358-0600|