State Farm is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States and has been in business since 1922. With roots in Illinois, its renters insurance policies are available in all states except for Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Renters can protect themselves with a range of policy options. From the standard personal property, liability, and loss of use coverages to specialized add-ons, you can feel secure knowing your belongings are covered.
Getting a quote through State Farm is easy—just don’t forget to compare it with quotes from other companies. Insurify lets you compare quotes based on your information so you can find the best policy (at the best price) for you.
State Farm Renters Insurance Quotes
How to Get a Quote for State Farm Renters Insurance
Getting a quote is easy online or on the phone. To start, just visit statefarm.com and navigate to Renters Insurance. All you need to do is enter your ZIP code to get the quoting process started.
If you’d instead go through the process with an agent, you can call 1 (844) 803-1572 to get your quote started.
You will need to answer some questions about your rental unit and your own insurance history. Here’s information that’ll be useful to have on hand before you log in or call:
- The number of people that live in your apartment
- Information about any business you run from your rental (like a daycare)
- The value of your personal belongings
- Safety features, like alarms or extra locks
- Your insurance history
Discounts Available for State Farm Renters Insurance
Renters insurance is one of the most affordable insurance coverages out there. Even so, State Farm offers renters insurance discounts on top of already low rates.
A multiple line discount can help you save on both renters and auto insurance. Whether you’re an existing State Farm auto insurance policyholder or thinking about making the switch, bundling your auto and home insurance policies is an easy way to save.
Protecting your home can also save you in the long run. State farm offers a home-alert discount to renters with security equipment, like burglar alarms and smoke detectors.
You can also opt for a higher deductible discount to save on your premiums. Just remember that this could cost you more in the event of a covered loss. A higher deductible means that you will owe more out of pocket for a claim, but will save you on your premium now.
State Farm Renters Insurance Reviews: Here’s what people are saying…
State Farm’s renters insurance reviews are mostly positive online, and it has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Happy customers all agree that customer service is above average for claims servicing and that prices are affordable:
However, some did note that after getting paid out for a claim their policy was canceled, which may be a cause for concern if you feel you are at risk for certain covered losses:
State Farm Renters Insurance Coverages
State Farm’s renters insurance policies cover standard situations, like personal property, loss of use, and liability. While some landlords may require you to take out a renters insurance policy as part of your lease agreement, any renter can protect their belongings with standard coverages:
- Personal Property: If your personal belongings are damaged in your rental unit, your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your costs. Personal property coverage pays for the replacement cost of certain items after a covered loss, up to certain limits. Most policies cover:
- Accidents, like fire, smoke, or water damage
- Certain weather events like heavy snow, or frozen pipes
- Malicious mischief like vandalism or theft
- Liability: If someone is injured on your property, liability coverage helps protect your finances when you’re faced with legal fees or owe money to another person.
- Loss of Use: If you lose access to your rental home after a covered accident, loss of use coverage helps pay for additional living expenses above what you usually pay. In extreme cases, this can help cover up to 24 months of alternate living arrangements.
Depending on your living situation, you might consider additional coverages tailored to your unique needs. Here are the most common add ons:
- Umbrella/Personal Liability: Additional liability coverage helps pick up where your other policies leave off. Covering a minimum of $1 million for covered claims, an umbrella policy helps pay for covered costs in excess of other policy limits.
- Earthquake: Certain natural events, like earthquakes, are not considered covered events on your renters insurance policy. Property damage and loss of use from an earthquake are not automatically covered on your policy.
- Identity Restoration: For identity theft, cyberattack or extortion, and fraud, State Farm’s identity restoration cover can help save you money and stress. In addition to reimbursing related expenses, you’ll get a dedicated case manager to help you deal with these stressful incidents.
Other Insurance Products Offered by State Farm
- Auto Insurance: State Farm is a well-known, nationwide provider of auto insurance. Cars, boats, motorcycles, and RVs can all get covered with an auto insurance policy. Opting for a State Farm auto insurance policy can also help you save on your renters premium with a bundling discount.
- Property Insurance: It’s not just renters who can take advantage of State Farm’s property insurance. There are several State Farm homeowners insurance options, like home, condo, rental property, and manufactured home.
- Life Insurance: Protect your loved ones’ financial futures with a life insurance policy. State Farm currently offers term, whole, and universal life insurance coverages.
- Small Business Insurance: State Farm offers small business insurance policies for all stages of businesses, from getting started to seeing growth to changing ownership. Standard policies include workers’ compensation, commercial auto, commercial liability umbrella, and review and adjust coverage.
How to Cancel State Farm Renters Insurance
You can cancel your State Farm renters insurance policy by calling your State Farm agent. If you’re not sure how to contact your agent, the main helpline can assist you. Just call 1 (800) 782-8332.
State Farm Renters Insurance FAQ
What does State Farm renters insurance cover?
You can get standard and specialized renters insurance coverage with State Farm. All policies include some degree of personal property, liability, and loss of use coverage. Depending on what else you have to cover, you can add on specialized coverages for valuables like jewelry, or for natural events like earthquakes. Other common add-ons include additional liability coverage, an umbrella policy that can help cover costly expenses that exceed policy limits on your existing home and auto insurance policies. You can also protect yourself against identity theft and cyber attacks with an identity restoration add-on.
How much does State Farm renters insurance cost?
Renters insurance is one of the most affordable insurance coverages out there. However, the cost of your policy really depends on you. Where you live, your insurance history, the value of your personal belongings, safety features in your home, and your deductible amount all affect your monthly premium. Don’t forget that with State Farm, you can save money by bundling your home and auto insurance policies, and by installing safety features like security systems and smoke detectors.
How can I cancel my State Farm renters insurance policy?
To cancel your renters insurance policy, all you need to do is contact your local insurance agent to get the process started. Don’t worry if you lost the contact information, though—you can call the main helpline at 1 (800) 782-8332 to get connected.
Conclusion: How to Save on Insurance Costs
Renters insurance can bring you peace of mind when events out of your control happen. Covering your personal belongings in a rental unit means you can focus on responding to an incident, instead of worrying about how much it’ll cost you to get back on your feet.
Before committing to just any company that promises low premiums, make sure you compare quotes first. So much goes into a quote, from where you live to available discounts, and the only way to know for sure you’re getting the best deal is by comparing quotes.
Looking for auto or home insurance? Insurify compares real, customized policies for you, so you can purchase a policy with confidence.
State Farm Renters Insurance Contact Information
|Customer service phone number||1 (855) 733-7333|
|Claims service phone number||1 (800) 732-5246|
|Headquarters address||One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, Illinois 61710|